PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Switch

dclewallen
12-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Whats the easiest and least destructive way to remove the wiper switch on my 53 Starliner without a special tool. It doesn't have a nut. It has a flat surface with two small holes that I'm guessing are for a tool of some kind. I'm going to the shop where it's being worked on tommorrow [Friday] and wish to take it off while I'm there.

Darryl C. Lewallen

DilloCrafter
12-01-2005, 07:20 PM
I have not seen the wiper switch in a 53 car, but if it's like my truck, that's a retaining ring with threads, basically a nut in disguise (like me).

I'm waiting to see if someone tells us what the special tool is called. I'm sure they have them at NAPA or some other local place.

But if purchasing is not an option, I guess you could make one from a piece of scrap wood and a couple of finishing nails.

1)Get a piece of scrap wood, 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, and approx. 1.5 inches by 3 inches.

2)Drill a hole in the scrap wood, with a forstner bit or hole saw, just barely larger than the threaded shaft of the switch (basically, a hair over the inside diameter of the ring).

3)Mark just outside the circular opening you created, so you can hammer two finishing nails into the wood at the locations of those two holes in the retaining ring

4)Clip off the nails at the right height, and use the tool.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/current_AvaCar.gif

N8N
12-01-2005, 09:16 PM
there is a tool, but the one Eastwood sells is the wrong size. You could take a piece of copper or steel tubing the right size, and grind it down so there's two little protrusions 180 degrees apart. Then drill a hole through it so you can stick a screwdriver through as a handle...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
12-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Snap-On used to sell an array of different-sized, quarter inch drive sockets to fit these switch retainer nuts. I have 2 or 3 of them that I bought years ago. Handy when you need it!:)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

dclewallen
12-02-2005, 05:55 PM
I just went and retrieved the switch. I used a pair of snap-ring pliers, worked great. Thanks All,

Darryl C. Lewallen