This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowl Seal

Does anyone know the corrrect way to install the cowl seal on a 53 Stude. it has a bulge in it that I'm not sure about. Does it go toward the front or rear of the car? I don't remember how the original was when I removed it. Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen

There are 2 bulges in the seal a small one to the front the larger one in the back and there are 2 rivits one on each end.

Comment

Thanks alot for the information Alan

Darryl C. Lewallen
      Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

On my Speedster, there is a large, square, flat rubber seal that has a bulge and hole for the steering column to run through. Does the bulge go toward the interior or towards the engine compartment?

James D. Wilkerson

Comment

Towards the interior. There should be some ribbed lines on that same side.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thank you, Mr.Biggs! Does this seal go over or under the firewall insulator? or is there a cut-out in the firewall insulator? I'm trying to figure out what should show on the engine compartment side of this seal?

James D. Wilkerson

Comment

The insulator is under the seal. From the engine side you will see the bare insulator fibre material.

On a related topic, I have seen a '53 sedan in a old 'yard w/o the optional defroster and the hole in the firewall where the blower motor normally sticks through did not even have a blockoff plate to cover it, the fibre insulator material was visible and all that covered the hole.

Jeff

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
              X