PDA

View Full Version : 1954 studebaker starlight commander

richard allocca
11-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Can any one help me? I'm a member of SDC and have located a real nice '54 Commander Starlite 2dr. It needs an engine, I also have located a '57 289 engine, with a 4bbl carb and duel exhausts, rebuilt and ready to go.
My question: WILL IT FIT?? I do not want to do any cutting, welding ,etc to make it 'fit'. And if it will fit, what would I have to change; radiator, motor mounts, trans, exhaust headers, etc, etc.
Any advise or help is much appreciated... Thank You Richard:)

Dan White
11-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Should fit just fine. Exhaust system may or may not fit depending upon what it is out of.will but engine should be a drop in.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Dan White
11-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Forgot to ask about the trans setup in the '54 and what the trans is or is not in the '57 drive train?

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Roscomacaw
11-30-2005, 03:16 PM
As Dan says:D, it should fit like it belongs there! Only the stock '54 exhaust manifolds wouldn't fit the '57 heads. But that's an EASY fix![:0]

Dan asked about the tranny. We need to know what the car had to start with and what you plan to use behind this '57 engine. Not to say that any particular tranny would prohibit the '57 engine from working - it's just that certain considerations have to be regarded given whatever gearbox you intend to use.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

N8N
11-30-2005, 05:15 PM
actually if he has a '57 transmission it should drop right in. He'd need the appropriate driveshaft, obviously. Even if it is an automatic I believe that the DG column shifter will work just fine with a Flightomatic. If you have access to the complete '57 dual exhaust, if it's for a C or K body you can transfer that over as well. You will need the 55-57 rear valence with the cutouts for the dual pipes, or just leave it off completely. You will need to make sure you get all the gas pedal linkage for a C-K not a sedan or Lark.

Absolute best would be if this is a '57 Hawk parts car with the good motor and you can buy the whole thing; that way you can mix 'n' match parts as required, then sell the shell when you're done with it.

I'd buy new motor and trans mounts just on principle; but standard mounts will work. The mounts are specific to whatever transmission you're using, if that makes sense (e.g. if you are using a '57 Flightomatic order mounts for a '57 Flightomatic, they will bolt to your earlier x-member I believe)

One caveat: if you do use a Flightomatic for a transmission, you will have to convert the car to 12V and also cut a small hole in the floor for the trans dipstick. If you are using a stickshift get an early 6V flywheel and then you won't have to convert the electricals, and obviously no holes will need to be cut in the floor.

nate

(BTDT)

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
11-30-2005, 06:22 PM
The point I was getting at was if the car was set up for automatic and the engine was for a stick shift (or vise versa). This would require changing the rear crankshaft bolts to accomodate whichever. And that means taking the pan off and the rear main bearing cap.;):D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS