This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1942 truck

Does anyone know anything about old Studebaker trucks? I've been given one from my grandfather who purchsed it for his rock quarry. I've had people tell me that they didn't make them in 1942. But I have the orginal title. Help please.

Dave in KC

quote:Originally posted by dave in KC

Does anyone know anything about old Studebaker trucks? I've been given one from my grandfather who purchsed it for his rock quarry. I've had people tell me that they didn't make them in 1942. But I have the orginal title. Help please.

Dave in KC
    Studebaker did produce trucks for civilian use in 1942. According to Fred Fox in his article in the June 1986 issue of Turning Wheels, Studebaker produced less than 315 M5's, less than 770 M15's, and less than 2,676 M16's. Most were "blackout" models. Few (if any) blackout models have survived. 1942 production stopped on January 31, 1942.

If you post the information from the ID plate on the truck, we can probably tell you more. It should be somewhere on the driver's door jamb or on the seat riser on the driver's side. There will also be a "body tag" on the right side of the cowl under the hood. Any pictures? Any chance yours is a "blackout" model?

-Dick-
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for the information. I haven't been able to find anything. This was bought new by my great grand father for ag use only. So the story goes that is the only way he could have purchased it.

I do have pictures, where or how do I post them?

What is a black out?

I'll try to get the numbers in a couples days.

My

Dave

Dave in KC

Comment

Thanks for the information. I haven't been able to find anything. This was bought new by my great grand father for ag use only. So the story goes that is the only way he could have purchased it.

I do have pictures, where or how do I post them?

What is a black out?

I'll try to get the numbers in a couples days.

My

Dave

Dave in KC
        Here's a thread on posting pics here...

Or, you can just provide a link to them.

"blackout" cars and trucks had painted bumpers, headlight rims, etc. instead of chrome due to the shortage of chrome during wartime.

-Dick-
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

The Stude is a black out. The only chrome is on the ridge of the hood and the Studebaker emblem on the front. Everything else is painted. I'm working on the posting the pics.

Dave in KC

Comment

Dave, what does the stamped tag on the firewall say? How about a serial# plate affixed to the upper edge of the driver's door jamb?

Does it have cast metal wheels with two-piece (or dismountable) rims or does it have stamped steel wheels?

Pickup bed or flat bed or no bed at all???[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The Stude model# is "M16 52" and the serial# in "M-16 4464". It is a flat bed with out the side walls. My grandpa said that the wheels were called bud wheels. In the picture they look like they are two piece. The internal part of the wheel looks like it bolts to the rim. If that makes sense. The title says it wieghs 3960 so I'm assuming it's a two ton truck.

Dave in KC

Comment

The Stude model# is "M16 52" and the serial# in "M-16 4464". It is a flat bed with out the side walls. My grandpa said that the wheels were called bud wheels. In the picture they look like they are two piece. The internal part of the wheel looks like it bolts to the rim. If that makes sense. The title says it wieghs 3960 so I'm assuming it's a two ton truck.

Dave in KC
                It is a 1942, 152" wheelbase. 1942 M16 serial numbers were between 2525 and 5200.

Are the wheel centers cast (spoke like) or pressed steel?

M16's were 1 1/2 ton models.

On the Stude swap page, you said it had a "Hurcules Engine". Based on this serial number, it should have a Studebaker flat head 6 226 cubic inches and 94 HP.

Post some pics of the truck, engine and wheels if you get a chance.

Regards,
                -Dick-
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

You have a 1 1/2 ton model. Most all one and 1 1/2 ton models ('41-'42) had cast spoke wheels and hub caps. I think you mean Budd (the manufacturer and style) wheels.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You all have been a big help. The wheels are spoke like. My grandpa told me about the hecules engine. Would there have been another option then what you said? If not, then it must be the flat head 6. When it comes to posting these pics I guess I'm not as smart as the computer. I can email them to you if you want to send me an email at djmeats@sbcglobal.net. This will keep you from posting yours. Then you can post the pictures for me. Would anyone have a guess to what this is worth?

Thanks all

Dave in KC

Comment

The Hercules 320cu.in. engine was used in the military trucks that Studebaker built for the war effort. It's HIGHLY unlikely that one found it's way into an M-series, unless, of course, someone did an engine swap after the war years. A good number of the US6 military trucks were liquidated after WWII, so it's possible that someone could have retrofitted a Hercules engine into your 1&1/2ton Stude. Still, it wouldn't have been a drop-in arrangement.
                      Here's something to help you confirm if it's a Hercules or not. Look at the manifold assembly on the engine. If it's a Hercules engine, it'll say STUDEBAKER in big embossed letters, down the length of that manifold.

What's it worth?[:I] That's tough to answer. Alot depends on condition. Dick Steinkamp (who's answered some of your question here) recently bought a really nice, driveable example of one for under a grand, if I recall right. I'm sure he'll set me straight if I'm wrong. And while his has a Ford engine transplant in it, I don't think that effects value much.
                      I know of another one that recently went for $300 bucks! And it was a real peach of a truck condition-wise.
                      What works against it's rarity is that it's not very road friendly by today's standards. 55 or 60 MPH is gonna be about all you and the engine can stand, speedwise (if that much!). And the ride is REALLY rough in even partially loaded condition![xx(]
                      I had a really pristine M16 some years back. Paid all of $300 for it even tho the engine was inoperative. I ended up trading it for some tools I wanted! I simply couldn't sell it. It might have been easier if it had run but the engine was stuck and I never tried to make it run.[V]
                      Your '42 is RARE because it's a '42, but it looks almost exactly like the 46 & 47 models which they built bunches of.[8D] Given that, it's rarity is still not distinctive enough to do much for it's value.
                      That said, I still think they're COOL trucks! I wish I had one with a dump bed on it. I could use one like that from time to time![]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You all have been a big help. The wheels are spoke like. My grandpa told me about the hecules engine. Would there have been another option then what you said? If not, then it must be the flat head 6. When it comes to posting these pics I guess I'm not as smart as the computer. I can email them to you if you want to send me an email at djmeats@sbcglobal.net. This will keep you from posting yours. Then you can post the pictures for me. Would anyone have a guess to what this is worth?

Thanks all

Dave in KC
                        Here's a few pics Dave sent me.

Definately an early M16. Notice the lack of spacers between the front fenders and the body. Studebaker started adding the spacers to the M16's when they changed from 700 x 20 tires to 800 x 20 tires at serial number 7843.

Also notice the beautiful early cast Budd wheels (I think they are Budd's...may be Daytons). Have you ever seen another set?

Contact Dave if you are interested in the truck or can help him set a value.

-Dick-
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Actualy - the wheels are Clarks!!![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I want to thank Dick for posting the pics of my truck. Biggs you think the wheels are Clarks? How can you tell what they are? Do I need to get close ups of them and other things? I'm traveling to it this weekend and I'll take other photos if you guys think we need them.

Dave in KC

Comment

I want to thank Dick for posting the pics of my truck. Biggs you think the wheels are Clarks? How can you tell what they are? Do I need to get close ups of them and other things? I'm traveling to it this weekend and I'll take other photos if you guys think we need them.

Dave in KC
                              Dave,
                              In addition to some pics of the wheels, it would be great to have some pics of the motor so we can see if it's a Herc or Stude. Also close ups of the cab corners and floor (usual places for rust), and some pics of the interior and dash.

-Dick-
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X