PDA

View Full Version : What was the last year for the Champ?

dcoffield
11-29-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm considering getting a Stude truck to park beside the 65 Commander. What was the last year they were made?

Any advise on what to look for when shopping?

gordr
11-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Last year for Stude pickups and larger trucks was 1964. I believe there were some Zip vans made later to fulfill a contract.

What to look for? Why, a truck you like at a price you can afford:D

The place to start looking is with your local SDC chapter. Join it, go to some meetings, if you haven't already done so. Ask other chapter members. There are probably lots of vehicles in your local chapter that, if not officially "for sale", would be offered up to a person making a sincer inquiry. And many of us know of cars/trucks that are sitting gathering dust some place. Now these are rarely super nice cars, but they could be decent restoration projects, and often they go cheap.

There's a kind of a FrankenChamp on eBay right now; definitely has some authenticity issues, but it might turn your crank.[?]

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

dcoffield
11-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Really?? I thought I would pay too much for a truck I don't like;), but seriously thanks for the advise.

I was looking more for typical issues or common problems with the Champs that can affect the value.

gordr
11-30-2005, 11:48 PM
Sorry if you took that the wrong way, but your question was a little vague to me.

Well, Champ cabs rust the same places that Larks rust, plus they are prone to developing stress cracks in the floor and around the cab mounts. It really does seem that the Champ cab is structurally weaker than the C-cab which preceded it.

I had a '63 Champ as a daily driver for several years. One gripe I have with them is that I was forever banging my knee on the "dogleg" portion of the windshield frame upon entry and exit from the cab. They ARE a smart-looking truck, though, when done up well. I have a '62 Champ, 3/4-ton V8 4 speed, awaiting its turn.

And really, as far as finding one, do ask amongst local Studebaker fans. Many of us have more than one vehicle, often many more, and we are coming to realize that we can't do 'em all. So if someone like yourself shows up who sincerely wants to do one, then a sweetheart deal might be in the offing.

You can check the ads in Turning Wheels, you can watch eBay and CraigsList, but often the best deals are to be found by nosing around locally, and your local SDC chapter is great resource.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

JeffDeWitt
12-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Watch for rust or cracks in the cab mounts and if the truck has a sliding rear window there can be rust back there. Also if you are a big guy (like I am) find a truck with a thin seat back, those cabs are cozy enough as it is and if you've got the thick seat back it just aggravates it.

FYI, one of the neat things about the Champs IS that sliding rear window, while you see those all the time these days it was Studebaker that came up with the idea and the Champ was the first truck to have it.

Jeff DeWitt