This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3spd w/OD

Can a T86 3 spd w/OD, originally from a V8 car, be used with the Champ 6 cyl? thanks

I do believe you'll need the T96.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If it is a Champ TRUCK six, with a truck bellhousing, then you can use the T86, because that was the tranny used in six cylinder light trucks. You might have to change out or machine down the input shft of the T86; on older models pretty certain you wouod, not sure on Champs.

If you got hold of a truck bellhousing, you could install the T86 behind a Champion six in a car.

I think NOS T96 OD trannies are still available from SASCO.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Excellent info Gord. The bellhousing solution is just what I needed.

Comment

I believe using the truck bell housing in the car will require relocating the starter to the passanger side of the engine. Not a big deal but one to be aware of.

Gerry

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gecoe

I believe using the truck bell housing in the car will require relocating the starter to the passanger side of the engine. Not a big deal but one to be aware of.

Gerry
            This is my recollection too. My '61 Champ Pickup originally had a 6-cyl. engine with a T86OD transmission (truck gears of course). The starter was on the other side like Gerry says. FYI - The weasels I have used also had a T86 transmission instead of the T96.

Dale

Comment

Working...
            X