PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust - or No Exhaust?

PalmerGA
11-27-2005, 02:47 PM
Quick question - you all know I've been working on getting my 63 Daytona Convertible in prime shape. The 289, 4 bbl. carb (new Edlebrock w/ auto chock), dual exhaust stock original engine is running beautifully now, but I have an exhaust question. A while ago, I inquired about a bumb heat riser and the concensus was that (in south GA) I really didn't need to be concerned about it. So, I just used a little wire and it is now in the open position all the time.

I cranked her up last night (about 45 degrees outside) and noticed exhaust "smoke" coming out of the right exhaust only (the heat riser side). The left side had no "smoke" whatsoever. What causes this and is it a sign of a problem? If it could be a problem, what can I do about it?

By the way, after she came up to temperature there was no "smoke" from eithter side. Thanks for any info.... Jim

Jim's pride....
1963 Daytona Convertible

Alan
11-27-2005, 03:42 PM
You didn't say what color the exhaust was and how fast it dissapered but it was probably just water vapor. The byproducts of combustion are CO2 and water.

PalmerGA
11-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks Alan. It just looked like steam, so I guess it was just water vapor.... not like it was burning oil or anything. And it quit doing it when the engine temp got up. It just struck me as odd that it was coming out of one side and not the other. I guess this is not unusual, eh? Could it possibly have anything to do with the wired-open heat riser on that side? And, my main concern - will it hurt anything and can I do anything to stop it (need I worry about it)?

Jim's pride....
1963 Daytona Convertible

gordr
11-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Are you sure you got the heat riser wired OPEN?

If the weight and spring are still there, then "open" is the position where the weight has moved down against the spring tension. But if the weight and spring are gone, it can be real hard to tell which position is open and which is closed, plus I think it's possible for the butterfly to go past center when the external constraints are gone. Also, I believe it's possible for the butterfly to come loose off the shaft.

I'd suggest that you either replace the heat riser with a new one, or insert a spacer to replace it.

I've certainly used haywire before, and no doubt will again, but it is what it is, haywire.;)

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Alan
11-27-2005, 06:05 PM
It depends on the temp. the dew point, the relitive humidity. Just watch two people talking in cold weather one will have a lot of steam comming out the other hardly any at all. The best test is to put your hand a few inches away from the end of the pipe and feel how the exhaust hits your hand if the side with the riser is weak try changing the position of the counter weight and see if it makes a difference. Also smell your hand and see if there is any odors other than water. I'd say don't worry about it,and happy motoring.

PalmerGA
11-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Thanks Alan, gordr: I addressed the wise folks here at SDC Forum a while back because I was concerned about uneven exhaust pressure from the tailpipes. It was very weak on the heat riser side and really didn't improve a whole lot even when the engine was at normal operating temperature. It was suggested that the riser was bad. That's when I wired it open and it made a huge difference.

The exhaust pressure is still a bit stronger on the non-riser side, so you may be right, gordr, that the butterfly can go past center amd is still blocking some of the exhaust flow.

My main concern is that the apparent condensation on the one side may be a trouble sign. If you guys say "don't worry about it" I won't. Thanks guys.... jsp

Jim's pride....
1963 Daytona Convertible