Another Stude almost on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Stude almost on the road

I bought a 64 8E-7 w/289 & 5spd OD in 2003. It ran and drove but needed some work. Before I knew it I had the thing in a million pieces and decided to fully restore it. That project sat until Nov. of 2006 when I decided to put it back together with all the parts I got and just get it running. I'm getting close now with just some minor things left. I'll get a few pics up tomorrow. Right now the cab and clip are on the chassis. The engine and trans are in. Just some wiring, driveshafts and other little things left. I figured I should try and fire it up today. The engine came out of a 62 Lark with 162,000 on it and never had the heads off, until I pulled 3 months ago. Just a minor rebuild with everything stock except, ported & polished heads, R3 headers, original R3 intake with welded up ports to stock size and an AFB. As soon as the fuel hit the carb she fired right off and idled beautifully. Still with no exhaust pipes, just headers only. It sounds GOOD! Anyway I guess I wrote too much but I'm pretty excited that the engine fired up and is timed pretty good. Hopefully I'll be driving it soon.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Founded in 2002, Varozza 4x4 Outfitters has over 20 years of experience building and repairing Jeeps. We focus on stretching TJ's to LJ's on our custom jig, building custom suspension and manufacturing our vary own products to make your Jeep more capable than it has ever been. Located only 60 miles from the Rubicon Trail, we are a one stop shop to prepare your Jeep for any offroad terrain.

Jake, is this the dk. blue Champ you're talking about? I really like the colour. Was it originally a 4WD?

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Jake, is this the dk. blue Champ you're talking about? I really like the colour. Was it originally a 4WD?

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

No this is not the blue one. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. The blue champ is not four wheel drive. Its just tall because the rear axle is sprung over to clear the flatbed. My dad machined some aluminum blocks to set the front springs on to raise the front to match the rear. Eventually I plan on making it a 4x4. I really like the color too. I think I'll paint my race car that color.

Jake

Founded in 2002, Varozza 4x4 Outfitters has over 20 years of experience building and repairing Jeeps. We focus on stretching TJ's to LJ's on our custom jig, building custom suspension and manufacturing our vary own products to make your Jeep more capable than it has ever been. Located only 60 miles from the Rubicon Trail, we are a one stop shop to prepare your Jeep for any offroad terrain.

Comment

No this is not the blue one. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. The blue champ is not four wheel drive. Its just tall because the rear axle is sprung over to clear the flatbed. My dad machined some aluminum blocks to set the front springs on to raise the front to match the rear. Eventually I plan on making it a 4x4. I really like the color too. I think I'll paint my race car that color.

Jake

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Was it originally a 4WD?
            Clunk,

After the introduction of the Champ in 1960, Studebaker only made 4 wheel drive trucks on 1 ton chassis. The Champ never was offered with 4 WD as an option.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Was it originally a 4WD?
              Clunk,

After the introduction of the Champ in 1960, Studebaker only made 4 wheel drive trucks on 1 ton chassis. The Champ never was offered with 4 WD as an option.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Working...
              X