PDA

View Full Version : new 63 R2 ownee with Questions.

63Avanti
11-24-2005, 02:23 AM
I am finally the happy ownee for a 63 R2. I just finished driving it from Seattle to North Texas tonight, 2200 miles. It took the first 1000 miles using Chevron Techron Supreme and 3 bottles of "concentrated" cleaner to get it run well. (It also took that long for Wally-world to get the tire balance right.) I have many questions, I am drive a 5 speed turbo VW, and see many differences. To start:

Here are the cruising guage readings.

Vacuum 10 PSI
Oil pressure 50P
Amps ~1
Temp ~215.

very different than my VW. If I had these on the VW, I would have stopped at the first VW dealer.

Question is:
1. are these ok?
2. if not, what is ok and optimal?
3. if not, what needs to checked/fixed?

thanks!
terry

JDP
11-24-2005, 10:08 AM
The temp reading is too high, check the temp with a candy thermometer at the cap. (If it's really 215, it'll be boiling over with the cap off) You might have a bad sender or gage.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 GT Hawk
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
53 Street rod

Roscomacaw
11-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Terry - a '63 R2 what??? Avanti, Lark, Hawk? We wanna know!;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

studegary
11-24-2005, 02:19 PM
I assume that you mean inches of Hg, not PSI for the vacuum reading.
If you mean 50 psi for the oil pressure, that is okay.
A little positive on the ampere gauge is fine.
I don't believe that your temperature is 215, if you mean degrees F. I don't believe that you would have made 2200 miles with that temperature. There is probably something wrong with the sender/gauge. As JDP/John said; check it with a known good thermometer. Take your radiator cap off and then warm up the engine, not the other way around. If the temperature is more than 190, you need to do some serious checking of your cooling system.

wagone
11-24-2005, 07:23 PM
I've got a 160 degree thermostat in my '63 R2 Avanti and it never runs hot (175-180 degrees on the gauge in the summer). Also, unless you are running it pretty good (hard)I would expect to see more like 15 inches of mercury on the vacuum gauge cruising on the highway. The higher the vacuum the better the gas mileage and mine (anyway) needs all the help on fuel economy ( I know an R2 and fuel economy is quite a dichotomy) it can get. As others have said, 215 degrees of temp is way too hot--if correct--but the oil pressure is fine.
wagone and the convalescent Avanti

wagone
11-24-2005, 07:29 PM
[quote]Originally posted by wagone

I've got a 160 degree thermostat in my '63 R2 Avanti and it never runs hot (175-180 degrees on the gauge in the summer). Also, unless you are running it pretty good (hard)I would expect to see more like 15 inches of mercury on the vacuum gauge cruising on the highway. The higher the vacuum the better the gas mileage and mine (anyway) needs all the help on fuel economy ( I know an R2 and fuel economy is quite a dichotomy) it can get. As others have said, 215 degrees of temp is way too hot--if correct--but the oil pressure is fine. Oh, congratulations, tsterkel, on the purchase. I assume it is an Avanti. I hope you got a good one. There is a lot of crap out there and it amazes me how much people expect to get for them when it comes time to sell.[V]
wagone and the convalescent Avanti