PDA

View Full Version : Brake lockup

Kdancy
11-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Don Willin has a 55 coupe with a heidt's front end and disc brakes. He has the Turner master cylinder conversion. For some reason, the front brakes start locking up or dragging after 5 or so miles. We have changed the MC, front 2 lbs residual valve and even relocated the front brake lines as Don felt the heat off the headers near the lines was causing the issue. Just believe it is some sort of valving problem but can't figure out where.
Help [?]

DEEPNHOCK
11-23-2005, 08:07 AM
Did he pull the residual check valve out of his old master cylinder?
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

Don Miller has a 55 coupe with a heidt's front end and disc brakes. He has the Turner master cylinder conversion. For some reason, the front brakes start locking up or dragging after 5 or so miles. We have changed the MC, front 2 lbs residual valve and even relocated the front brake lines as Don felt the heat off the headers near the lines was causing the issue. Just believe it is some sort of valving problem but can't figure out where.
Help [?]

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Kdancy
11-23-2005, 09:06 AM
I called Don and he can't remember. He has changed the MC 3 times. I bet you have it right and that is where the problem lays.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

JTurner
11-24-2005, 05:06 AM
Check the adjustment between the linkage and M/C it's too tight, back it off a 1/2 turn and go for a test drive, That should fix the problem.

Jim Turner

Kdancy
11-24-2005, 11:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by JTurner

Check the adjustment between the linkage and M/C it's too tight, back it off a 1/2 turn and go for a test drive, That should fix the problem.

Jim Turner

Jim, we played with the adjustment and still wound up with the same problem, front brakes locking up just a few miles down the road. Only difference was "free pedal". We changed the inline 2lb residual valve to a new one and no difference.
Should we just take the inline valve out?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

jjones
11-24-2005, 01:37 PM
I had the same problem with my M-5 (Fatmans front end with disk brakes, MasterPower master cylinder/pedal conversion). I fought it for two weeks and finally took it to a brake shop. They put a pressure bleeder on it and pushed through enough fluid to flush the system. We never saw any air come out, but it has worked fine since then, so...