PDA

View Full Version : R3 cast headers/Saginaw PS?

N8N
11-21-2005, 07:06 PM
...will they coexist peacefully together in an early C-K? I seem to remember someone saying they wouldn't, but Dave Thibeault, Jon Myer, Don Simmons and Phil Harris all said they thought that they should fit, but of course none of them could actually say for sure that they had seen this combination. (This is why you go to Reedsville, once an idea pops into your head you can get several expert opinions in a very short period of time!)

Dave T. seems to think that with just a cam, big valve heads, and the R3 headers I should be able to get close to 300 HP out of a standard 289. Does this sound a little optimistic? I've also got a "stone clone" intake, 600 CFM carb and the "loud tone" mufflers. I am running the numbers in my head and if that's a realistic figure, I think I might have to figure out how to afford it. 300HP sounds a heck of a lot better than 225 or whatever it is stock :)

Alternately, if anyone has a Saginaw manual box for a C-K that they'd be willing to sell, I might be able to be tempted, although the PS is kinda nice... (I'm not as vehemently opposed to it as I am to the Hydrovacs... yeah, I know people like 'em but I'm not one of those people <G>)

thanks,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Dan White
11-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Nate, I thought this came up before somewhere and the answer was NO the Saginaw/R3 headers would not go together.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Roscomacaw
11-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Nate, I might have one available eventually. I want to ADD a Saginaw PS setup to my 53 coupe.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS