This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day/Night Rearview Mirror

Did Studebaker ever offer a Day/Night inside rearview mirror? Seems kind of odd that most cars had them but I have never seen a Stude with one, at least not a factory one.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

Yes, I saw several at Reedsville. I was actually going to buy one at York but when I went back to get it the seller wasn't at his table. The inexpensive one that I saw at Reedsville was for a 40's car, looks same as the later ones but smaller.

Question - is the glass for a day/night mirror still available? Reason I ask is most of the mirrors that I see have excellent (stainless) housings but the glass is starting to go around the edges... if the glass is available, that would make finding a nice day/night mirror a much less expensive proposition.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

It should not be an issue, because we should only drive our Studebakers in the daytime, so that people can see them better

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon
      Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Not so fast. When I go to a show I want to stay as long as possible so everyone can see my Stude so it sometimes is necessary to drive home in the dark.

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

There was a NOS one for ' 55 , ' 56 at a table right beside the stairway that the gentleman wanted $100 for . I ment to write the AC # down for my buddy who is looking for one for his '58 but i forgot
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The day/night mirror, with the little toggle that switched it back and forth, was available as an option as early as 53, perhaps earlier. None of my cars had it through 1963 but, I did have the glass company replace the standard mirror glass with anti-glare mirror; not as effective but helpful.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I had one on a 51 Champ.convert. that I once owned & it was a factory option because the AC # was listed in on of the manuals.I believe Studebaker had a odd name for it(ie Glare Proof or Glare Stat)
              That car was 20yrs ago & memory fades

Comment

My 1966 Cruiser has one, which was one reason why I figured the car was worth the $100 my father paid for it (don't ask me how many hundreds and hundreds I've poured into the car since!). It works great and is the only one I've seen, although I know from literature that it is the correct factory item.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I have one for a '53 and it's still in working order![8D]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A glare-proof mirror was available as an accessory on M trucks after the war, maybe even earlier on some cars, probably on '41 cars. I have one in my '48 M5 truck.

Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, MA
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard
                    Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
                    Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard
                    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

The late model day/night mirror that Studebaker used is identical to the one AMC used in the same period, except the mounting stem is different. Apparently these mirrors were made of special steel that rusts with the least exposure to moisture as all that I have seen in salvage yards are rusted completely. I sure would like to find a good one, but there are very few out there. I have one of the earlier style if anyone wants to trade.
                      Tim K.
                      Tim K.
                      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I have an original day night mirror on my 63 GT. It is definitely factory equipment. It is the exact same size as the non day night mirror. jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Wow Gary, your M series must have been a real "cream puff". Most of them only came with a drivers side sun visor and arm rest(I think?)
                          Id say a M series truck with a day/night mirror was "loaded".

Comment

My M5 was not a "cream puff" when I got it. It had sat for 14 years and you could see through the floors and bed. It had to be disassembled to the last nut and bolt and remanufactured.

However, six years of shopping at the Reedsville and York swap meets turned up a bunch of NOS items like a day/night mirror, hill holder, windshield washer bottle, and decent used items like a clock, radio, rear bumper, fog lights, overdrive transmission, bumper guards, etc. Some NOS stuff like turn signal lights came from Ebay. I guess I could be accused of having an "over dressed" truck. As Dick Quinn's M5 article in Antique Studebaker Review said, of the 4,685 pre-WWII M5 trucks, only 100 had rear bumpers, 18 had radios, 3 of them had clocks, and only 1 had a hill holder when they came from the factory. However, many of these items add safety, comfort, practicality - and fun - on a vehicle never designed to cruise the Interstates. My motto: "Any thing worth doing is worth overdoing!"

Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, MA
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
                            Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Beautifully overdone, Gary! Chris Coop is trying to do a 53 sedan with every option available that year. I hafta wonder what weight his sedan will show as opposed to "factory" curb weight for a '53![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X