PDA

View Full Version : Rear V8 brake links

Eman
11-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Other than the missing brake links, could you guys take a look and make sure everything looks good here:

http://www.bulletshots.net/myStude/brakes2/images/IMG_0183.jpg

I am "upgrading" to the bigger V8 rears. Is the coil/spring on the emergency brake (leftover from the original brakes) still necessary? It seems I don't need it because the brake link's tension pushes back on the emergency brake lever, but wanted to make sure.

Which brings me to the brake links themselves:

http://www.bulletshots.net/myStude/brakes2/images/IMG_0182.jpg

Are all brake links the same size? When I put these on, they pushed one shoe off into the ridge of the backing plate, pushed the pistons up at an angle in the rubber on the wheel cylinders, and rubbed against the clip holding the brake pin.

It just didn't look or feel right, and frankly, scared me! Any insight into this would be appreciated.

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
www.bulletshots.net

Rosstude
11-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Iím sure someone else will chime in here, but Iíll pass on my observation. It looks like the E-brake actuating arm is on the wrong side of the shoe. It should be on the back of the shoe, between the shoe, and backing plate. It would seem you have to switch left to right, and vise versa to get them facing the right way. I think the springs should stay on the cable. If I recall correctly, the little leaf spring on the link should be facing the front of the car, opposite the actuating arm.

Ross.
57 Provincial
58 Transtar
66 Wagonaire

Roscomacaw
11-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Ross is right!;) That actuator arm's in the wrong place. Take both sides apart and swap those arms so that they're behind the rear shoe. Keep the springs:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Eman
11-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Glad I posted the picture. Thanks Ross. The "original" brakes that were on the car didn't even have the actuators and the cable was just in there loose. Guess it's a good thing I've become pretty good at taking off the return springs.[:I]

www.bulletshots.net

Transtar56
11-21-2005, 04:04 PM
That part you call the brake link, I never did know the proper name for it, but on the last few brake jobs Ive done Ive found the new "meat" on the shoes was much to thick.
I ended up grinding a bit more into the "slot" in that part and everything went together and worked fine.

Dwain G.
11-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Transtar56 wrote:
That part you call the brake link, I never did know the proper name for it, but on the last few brake jobs Ive done Ive found the new "meat" on the shoes was much to thick.
I ended up grinding a bit more into the "slot" in that part and everything went together and worked fine.

That is certainly true sometimes. Before one does that though, they should first back off the hand brake adjuster. It gets tightened again and again over the years as the lining wears, and often needs to be 'reset' to release tension on the equalizer, or link.

Dwain G.

Roscomacaw
11-21-2005, 10:46 PM
What can also help (but admittedly is hard to get done nowdays) is to have the shoes "arc ground" to match the drum they'll be working in. I have one place locally that will do it IF you ask the guy back in the shop. At the counter, the answer's always: "We don't do that anymore."

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Eman
11-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Just FYI, here's what it looks like when everything is on the correct side...
http://www.bulletshots.net/myStude/brakes2/pages/IMG_0187.html

Although I still don't have whatever is supposed to keep the e-cable and spring inside the "housing."

www.bulletshots.net

Roscomacaw
11-27-2005, 10:13 AM
What you need is a pair of simple little spring steel clips that snap over the cable, inside the backing plate but in front of the spring. I believe the part# is 533290;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS