PDA

View Full Version : Avanti Wiring Harness?

HNCadet
11-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Is there a source for a complete new Avanti wiring harness? I've just acquired a '63 Avanti that was "Blaked" at somepoint in it's past. The vehicle is exhibiting problems that appear to be grounding related, but the mass of wires under the dash and hood, some of which are disconnected and just dangling tells me that it is not a "new" problem. Also there is some type of anti-theft alarm in the dash and I'm feeling that a complete tearout/reinstall might be the best solution.

Roscomacaw
11-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Studebakers West sells new harnesses:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

wagone
11-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Hey HNCadet, what do you mean by someone "Blaked" it? Are you saying (as I suspect) that the original body has been converted to a Blake era body--thus altering an original Stude Avanti! The Stude body must have been pretty badly trashed in an accident; oh well. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. A lot of people giving input on this forum believe the Avanti to be UGLY (I'm NOT one of them) but it so unique.....I'd better not continue with this thread as my knuckles tend to bleed easily from being whacked with a ruler (or crow bar).:D
wagone and the convalescent Avanti

N8N
11-24-2005, 06:32 AM
I haven't seen this so much with Avantis, but in the 911 crowd it's very common to see cars "updated," i.e. a '73 or earlier car with the 70's-80's bumpers and lights, or a mid-80's cars with the later bumpers... which I really don't understand, as as with Avantis I think the early body style is the cleanest and prettiest. I have learned to mostly hide the horrified look on my face when a 911 owner proudly tells me about the great job his body shop did updating his '73...

Now I do think that a 968 is better looking than a 944, but nobody seems to think it's worth it to sell an update kit... (not that I'd bother)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

wagone
11-24-2005, 06:09 PM
It would seem (the "updates" that is) to significantly devalue the car in question, but as others on this thread have rightly stated "it's your ride, do it the way you want". On the other hand, the day will come when the "toy" will be sold. Nice to have choices, and be thankful for them--today and every day!
wagone and the convalescent one (the Avanti is driveable again; however it is now just about winter here in the midwest)

HNCadet
11-27-2005, 04:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by wagone

Hey HNCadet, what do you mean by someone "Blaked" it? Are you saying (as I suspect) that the original body has been converted to a Blake era body--thus altering an original Stude Avanti! The Stude body must have been pretty badly trashed in an accident; oh well. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. A lot of people giving input on this forum believe the Avanti to be UGLY (I'm NOT one of them) but it so unique.....I'd better not continue with this thread as my knuckles tend to bleed easily from being whacked with a ruler (or crow bar).:D
wagone and the convalescent Avanti

Actually, the exterior of the car is original, except for the backup lights being changed out to 'red' and new backup lights installed on each side of the license plate. It's the interior that has been "updated" to mid-eighties variety along with the mechanicals,(Chevy SB & T400). Wiring harness has been modified to accept newer Avanti gauges and that is where the problems reside. Looks like I will try to find that West Coast Stude # (Anybody have it?)and see if a NOS or replacement harness can be had. The Chevy will stay until a suitable 289 & Ultramatic can be located, rebuilt and reinstalled. Not sure if this was an R1 or R2 since I haven't received my build sheets yet.

studegary
11-27-2005, 09:16 PM
It looks like you (HNCadet) need to join the Studebaker Drivers Club (this site) for starters. That will lead you to vendors, technical help, historical information, etc. For example; NO Avantis came with Ultramatic.