This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '51 Nose Ring Problem

I recently purchased a rechromed nose ring for my '51. However, the original painted ring doesn't fit over it now. (Well, it fits over it, but with pliers and tightening the screw, I still have a 1/4" gap.) Does anyone have a suggestion to fix this? Do you think the outer ring rechroming might be thicker than the original?

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

Every 1951 nose bullet I have ever seen or had fit exactly like that. Mine on my 1951 Commander and my spare from a 1951 Champion are the same way, and neither one of tham have ever been rechromed.

Comment

It fit perfectly off the original chrome ring. I bought another chrome ring because the original had a big crack and dent in it.

Comment

The gap in my 51 is about 1/32. The rechroming would effect the circumference but 1/4 inch seems like much.

I've heard that a circle at the equator would float one foot off the ground if you added one foot to the 25,000 mile circumference but I don't know how that works. Maybe some physicist can explain how the addition of a few microns to the chrome ring can make 1/4 inch difference.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

So what do you think I should do? It bugs me enough to post some pictures of it...

Comment

Eric,
            I've been a bit under the weather since yesterday. But I dragged my butt out to the garage late this afternoon. Since I have a 51, I've accumulated 3 bulletnose assemblies. Two of them have the collor intact. On none of them will the collar close all the way. And none of them has ever been rechromed.[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The way your ring fits around the bullet is proper. That is the way they were produced. You can take that to the bank. jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Thanks for checking, everyone. I thought it should be flush with the ring, but oh well.

Sorry to get you out while you're sick Mr. Biggs. Sounds like I need to come visit your garage though!

Comment

Working...
                X