PDA

View Full Version : Where to Mount Lap Belts on Speedster?

motive
11-18-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm planning on installing aftermarket lap belts for the front seat of my Speedster and I'm not sure where I should place the mountings. I've seen pictures of some outer mountings located outside of the seat channel with the outer belt going around the outside of the seat. I was thinking of placing the outer mounting just inside and to the rear of the seat channels, with the outer belts routed inside of the seat back hinge assembly. I was thinking of placing the inner mountings on either side of the tranmisison tunnel, and possibly installing a third belt for a center passenger using these same mountings. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Roscomacaw
11-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Your approach sounds good to me. Just make sure you buttress the floor attachment points with a significant metal doubler. Don't leave the task of holding your torso in place to just the sheet metal of the floor![xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

motive
11-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks Mr. Briggs. I purchased an install kit for each mount that includes a hefty metal plate that should spread the load over a large enough area to keep me from hurtling through the windshield. Appreciate the feedback.

Skip Lackie
11-19-2005, 08:51 AM
One other suggestion. I submitted the same question a few years ago to the Co-operator in Turning Wheels. The answer I got back was very similar to what you propose with this additional item: be sure the seat is in the full backward position before you start drilling. The belts ought to be close to vertical when the seat is pushed all the way back.
Skip Lackie

Dick Steinkamp
11-19-2005, 11:08 AM
quote:[i]I was thinking of placing the inner mountings on either side of the tranmisison tunnel, and possibly installing a third belt for a center passenger using these same mountings.

Thanks, Mike

Just my two cents...The front seat on the C/K's is fairly narrow. I have a '54 and I can easily roll up the right side window from the driver's seat without unbuckeling. My point is, with three people in the front seat, you'd have to be real good friends <g>. I know they advertised these cars as 5 passenger cars (three in the front and two in the back), but I'd hate to be one of those three in the front. Plus, with three sets of seat belts in the front (6 belts) it seems to me that you'd always be fishing for the right ones to connect. Also, if you do put three belts in the front, I don't know if I'd "share" the anchor points. The floors on these cars started thin (especially in the double panel areas) and are probably now thinner. I don't know if they'd hold TWO people in an accident.

-Dick-