This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REFUEL PROBLEM 48 STUDE

When trying to pump gas in my 48 studebaker champion I have to jack up the left side to get it to take any fuel and it takes 20-30 minutes to fill up the tank. Any comments or solutions?

Have you checked the rubber hose between the filler neck and the tank? I have seen them so soft and gooey that they are collapsed on themselves.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

filler neck is metal

Comment

There's a seperate little vent line that allows air off the very top of the tank to exit as you put gas in. It goes from the very top edge of the fuel tank (on the left side) to the upper portion of the gas filler line. That vent line is metal but connects at either end with a small piece of rubber tubing. Either one of those tubes could be collapsed or clogged with dirt to where that line can't effect venting.
        Check this and get back to us!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The neck is metal, but is there not a hose joining it to the tank ?

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
          64 GT Hawk
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          53 Street rod
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Yes, the filler is metal, but there is a short length of rubber hose at the bottom of the filler that joins it to the gas tank. It has two hose clamps holding it in place. It is a bitch to get that little piece of hose out and replaced properly, but a crimped or rotten hose will give you exactly the syptoms you describe. These little hoses are available from several vendors, cost about $15.00 + shipping. Replacing it will expand your vocabulary.

Comment

I just did this job on a Ford van. Bought a universal fuel hose[about 2" diameter]from O'Riellys.-cost was $6 per foot.[this material is a lot different than radiator hose,radiator hose won't hold up to gasoline]

Home of the Almostahawk
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

If this fella CAN get fuel in the car by jacking up one corner of the car, I doubt his jacking the car forces open the fuel filler pipe connection. More likely, there's no venting.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I believe the filler neck on '47-'48 models is attached directly to the tank (no hose). The coupling hose appeared in '49. Here is a picture of the VENT hose referred to earlier:

First, verify the vent is open and unrestricted. After that it may be neccessary to shim the tank slightly to raise the left rear (or lower the right front).

Dwain G.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

FUEL INLET IS ONE PEICE OF METAL FROM INLET TO FUEL TANK. HAVE BLOWN AIR THROUGH SMALL VENT HOLE IN FILLER NECK AND IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO HAVE ANY OBSTUCTION.PLEASE TELL ME MORE ABOUT SHIMMING FUEL TANK THANKS AGAIN CHAMP

Comment

Have you actualy TRIED putting gas in since you blew the vent line clear? It wouldn't take a very stubborn clog of that line to cause your troubles. If you haven't tried adding fuel yet, I'd do so before fiddling with shims.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

YES I HAVE REFUELED SINSE BLOWING VENT OUT WITH NO CHANGE.FIRST 5 TO 6 GALLONS GOES IN PRETTY WELL , AFTER THAT IT IS VERY,VERY,VERY SLOW THANKS FOR EVERYBODYS INPUT CHAMP

Comment

OK then - how about some floating piece of debris that eventually gets pressed against the vent outlet and stops it up? There has to be something wrong as I've never heard of this being a problem common to this model.
                          [}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

TOMORROW I PLAN TO REPLACE BOTH VENT HOSES AND DO A COMPLETE INSPECTION OF FUEL TANK. IT DOES BUBBLE AND GARGLE A LOT OUT OF VENT WHILE FUELING. THANKS SO MUCH CHAMP

Comment

I AM GETTING READY TO WORK ON 48 STUDE. WITH REFUELING PROBLEM, I AM CORIOUS TO KNOW MORE ABOUT SHIMMING FUEL TANK.THANKS CHAMP.

Comment

Working...
                              X