This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '60 Lark V-8 crankcase ventilation doohicky

My '60 Lark has a road draft tube going out the back of the intake valley, and ALSO a 3/4" rubber hose from the right valve cover to the air cleaner, with what appears to be some kind of a valve featuring a small red plastic plunger and a rubber bellows where it connects to the valve cover. My car's build sheet says it was originally sold in El Monte California. Could this be some kind of CA-only emissions device (i.e. PCV valve)? I have yet to see it on any other V-8 1960 Lark that I've inspected. I did not expect a 1960 car to have any kind of emission equipment, however rudimentary. Anything anyone here can tell me about this would be most appreciated. Also, if this is an original Studebaker part, are any repair parts available for it? It's not shown nor mentioned in the parts catalog.
    Thanks folks.
    Charles Schneider

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
    '60 Lark VIII
    '50 2R5

You're not gonna find that stuff in a Studebaker parts book. But California DID make older cars sport add-on Emission gadgets for a time (they don't any more) and that's probably how it ended up on your car.
    Some folks add the oil filler cap-to-air cleaner hose just to contend with blow-by on older engines.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Mr Biggs... Have you seen this thing I describe on another California '60 Studebaker? I was thinking of just tossing the thing and getting another air cleaner and valve cover without the holes. I don't get why it has the road draft tube also- maybe it has been plugged? I have not pulled it off to check.
      Best,
      Charles

'60 Lark VIII
      '50 2R5

Comment

The first factory-equipped emissions equipment were PCVs on 1962 model vehicles sold new in Calif only. 50-state PCVs started in 1963. As Mr Biggs said, that was undoubtedly an add-on, either to satisfy a Calif retrofit requirement or to solve a blow-by problem. Unless it's smoking a lot, just replace the air cleaner and valve cover. But yes, do check the road draft tube to make sure it wasn't plugged up on purpose.
        Skip Lackie
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Fram and AC (as well as a few other companies) made PCV retrofit kits for the early years. Some of these were, well, cobbled up out of some odd pieces. The development of PCV systems took a bit to get standardized. Nothing would surprise me....
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by rocinante

My '60 Lark has a road draft tube going out the back of the intake valley, and ALSO a 3/4" rubber hose from the right valve cover to the air cleaner, with what appears to be some kind of a valve featuring a small red plastic plunger and a rubber bellows where it connects to the valve cover. My car's build sheet says it was originally sold in El Monte California. Could this be some kind of CA-only emissions device (i.e. PCV valve)? I have yet to see it on any other V-8 1960 Lark that I've inspected. I did not expect a 1960 car to have any kind of emission equipment, however rudimentary. Anything anyone here can tell me about this would be most appreciated. Also, if this is an original Studebaker part, are any repair parts available for it? It's not shown nor mentioned in the parts catalog.
          Thanks folks.
          Charles Schneider

'60 Lark VIII
          '50 2R5
          DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
          '37 Coupe Express
          '37 Coupe Express Trailer
          '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

First you need to verify the road draft tube is not plugged (by accident or on purpose)!

Then yes, you can remove the add on junk that (as others have said) was most likely installed in the late 70's early 80's.

As long as your engine isn't burning much oil, it might be a good idea to install a PCV valve system...correctly, rather than the way it was done before.

Comment

They called them Carter Kits and had to be put on any used car sold in Calif. in the 70's and early 80's.

Comment

So that's what that thing is? A "Carter kit"? Very interesting. Thanks for clearing that up. Since it's apparently not an original Studebaker part, I look forward to removing that thing and tossing it in the trash! Anybody have a good used air cleaner (oil bath) and right valve cover for a 60 Lark 8? Email me off line at cbschneider@att.net.
                Thanks guys.

Charles Schneider

'60 Lark VIII
                '50 2R5

Comment

Is this the 4-nut valve cover style?

As to that draft tube, they originally had a wad of steel mesh inside them that was retained by a cotter pin. That mesh can get totally clogged with oil and consequently, dirt - over the years. Don't try to remove the mesh (assuming it's still there), just wash out the tube good with solvent.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes, I believe it is the 4-nut style valve cover but I will have to go have a look to be sure. Thanks for tip about the draft tube. I'm going to get into this thing this weekend.

'60 Lark VIII
                    '50 2R5

Comment

Working...
                    X