PDA

View Full Version : Ford V8 engine swap

stude_s
11-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Any one swap a Ford V8 (302ci) into a early Lark VIII(59-60)? How diffucult is it?

rockne10
11-08-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm sure there's some reason you're contemplating this.

This is your first post so, give us some background on your situation before we get in to the nitty gritty.

DEEPNHOCK
11-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Depends..
Front mount oil pan sump can be a pita...
All the mounts need to be built..
Custom exhaust too...
Lot's of work to save a hundred pounds or so...
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by stude_s

Any one swap a Ford V8 (302ci) into a early Lark VIII(59-60)? How diffucult is it?

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Dick Steinkamp
11-08-2005, 10:39 PM

Consider a 289 instead of a 302 and really confuse the hell outa them <g>.

-Dick-

oldvinyl
11-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Sorry, I must confess, Iam a redneck,,, In the land of Studedome, We just dont get overly excited about Fords and Chevys especially mated up to Studebaker Rare Earth cars. It really chokes us up. Let us help you locate a nice 259 or 289 and help the cause. Tom

stude_s
11-08-2005, 11:01 PM
I also must confess I would love to go the easy route and keep it stude but that would just rub everyone from the "keep it originals" to the "modify it till it blows up". I have a early Lark with a dead 259 w 3sp OD trans. I also happen to have a newly rebuilt Ford(sorry guys) 302. Just wondering if anyone has done this swap and how much fun it would be. I am aware of the Chevy (sorry, again) swap on the C/K bodies.

Yes, I am aware that just mentioning this abomination is driving many of you insane! Just deal, or help me find a reasonable priced running 259/289 around Northern Colorado.

Thanks in adavance for the info.

Dick Steinkamp
11-08-2005, 11:48 PM

Yes, I am aware that just mentioning this abomination is driving many of you insane!

Not me. I can help if it was a Chevy swap you were contemplating, but no experience with a Ford. A Ford motor is bigger (longer) than a SBC Chevy, but should still fit. Jeff's caution on the Ford front sump is a good one if you are sticking with the stock Stude steering.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ddstnkmp/detail?.dir=a9dc&.dnm=a412.jpg&.src=ph

-Dick-

whacker
11-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Just what exactly is wrong with your "dead" 259? Just about anything except a cracked block can be fixed, and a lot cheaper and easier than the ferd transplant you are contemplating. If you want power, the Stude can be built to run with the best of them. Your car, your choice. I've never had much luck with those weak-valve ferds. Also, my favorite transmission is a three speed with overdrive behind a Stude V8 - equivalent to a 5 speed, and strong as whiskey breath! If you do persist, keep a log and document it with photos so the rest of us can watch your progress, OK?

Alan
11-09-2005, 03:35 AM
It will fit with a Bronco oil pan but how you position it it will be very close to the stearing bell crank.

52hawk
11-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Can you still get parts for those fords???

Home of the Almostahawk

Roscomacaw
11-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Hee - hee - hee - hee .......[:o)] Good one 52Hawk!

Wonder what's happened to dimples and her '52! [?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Transtar56
11-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Yep,re-build what you have or find another Stude V-8 is the way to go. Way less problems,and a much better engine,must be one near you if yours froze up and cracked or something.
Im not against mods,I just like Stude V-8's ,and Ive had only one Ford 302 in my life. I know Ford has sold a zillion of them and lots of folk must be happy, but that engine (in a pick-up) was the worst gas guzzling, gutless POS I had experienced since the 305 Chev.
It finally broke its timing chain one cold winter morning and I put the thing out of its misery.

Mike Van Veghten
11-09-2005, 06:45 PM
While not much of a Ford guy....."put it in".

I have no idea what the parts may cost, but there ARE parts out there to make your small block Ford a rear sump oil system. I know this because a friend finally is installing a sb-Ford (302) he bought parts a long while ago for a swap into a 47 Ford. Same problem, front mounted crossmember. So there are parts for your desired configuration out there.

It's [u]your</u> car, [u]you</u> have to be happy with it in the end. I say do it and have fun.

Mike

rockne10
11-09-2005, 07:53 PM
stud_s,

I assumed from your first post you must be sitting on a good DORF engine with no body and a Stude body needing an engine.

As you can tell, so far, there's not a lot of experience with DORF swaps though I expect it's been done. The GM swap is so much easier but that doesn't address your situation.

Change your oil sump, sit the engine in on blocks or jacks where it won't interfer with steering, radiator, suspension, hood, firewall, etc., mock-up mounts and crossmembers, fabricate mounts and crossmembers, fabricate shift linkages, fabricate throttle linkages, fabricate driveshaft, fabricate, fabricate, fabricate. Expect some cursing, gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair.

Keep a record and keep us informed. Someone will benefit from your experience. It will probably be less expensive to fix or replace your 259 and you can use the money you save to find a solid 55 Ford pickup that would love to have that 302 under the hood.

Someone who has already done the swap you propose may yet respond. And if anyone asks why you did it you can say "I did it on a Lark!":D

Alan
11-09-2005, 09:46 PM
I did it about 20 years ago with a Bronco pan, but they might be hard to find now, you might check the late Fox body pans with the rear sump 1985-94 Mustangs, to see if you could make that work. It is a nice instalation that can get you in the high 12's.

oldvinyl
11-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey,,,,,,, You can always put your 259 cranshaft into your 289 ford when the ford one breaks, a little welding, and a flat file, bingo. I seen it done on monster garage TV, Tom

Alan
11-10-2005, 02:40 PM
What were you smoking while watching TV Tom. The 3 5/8" stroke crank would give the Ford a 5/8" stroker.

DilloCrafter
11-10-2005, 11:38 PM
You may want to search for Bunzard's post about the Studebaker V8 he had rebuilt by G.P.O. Automotive Machine Shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Maybe that's not too far from you in Northern Colorado. I am having a six rebuilt by G.P.O., and I was told by the owner of the shop, David Beedle, that he has done more than twenty Studebaker engines in the past year. That's got to be one of the busiest Stude rebuilders around. Email me for his phone number.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup (image link below)
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/currentstate.jpg

oldvinyl
11-11-2005, 01:31 AM
Allan,Allan, Allan, :D :D:D:D Tom.