This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Prototypes

We've all seen photos of the planned 4-door Avanti and 2-door Avanti sedan styled by Raymond Loewy's firm circa 1962. Many of us also have seen photos of the two cars partially covered by tarps in what looks to be a portion of the old Studebaker plant. Also, I've heard through the years these prototypes survived. I have also heard the museum has them. Does anyone know the true status of these prototypes?

Studedude1961
    --1963 Cruiser

I seem to remember being told (by whom I can't remember) that the prototypes went with the other Avanti items to the Avanti Motor Co, were moved to Youngstown by Kelly, and eventually became the property of Cafaro and his partners. Dunno if ownership went along with the Avanti name to the new company in Georgia. Hopefully someone else will have real data.
    Skip Lackie
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Well, I have seen with my own eyes all the molds for the 4 door Avanti in Villa Rica, Georgia. Saw a couple of 4 door Avanti's there too...(We won't talk about the Avanti limo destined for Cancun).
      But wasn't the prototype a 4 door on one side and a 2 door on the other side?
      Wasn't the shorty Avanti up on Ebay a short time ago?
      I don't have the answers, but it is an interesting subject.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

I seem to remember being told (by whom I can't remember) that the prototypes went with the other Avanti items to the Avanti Motor Co, were moved to Youngstown by Kelly, and eventually became the property of Cafaro and his partners. Dunno if ownership went along with the Avanti name to the new company in Georgia. Hopefully someone else will have real data.
      Skip Lackie
      DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
      '37 Coupe Express
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer
      '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As I remember it, the 1963 prototype in question was a two door on one side and a four door on the other side. This was a quite common practice for styling studies. The prototype car (four door) was different than the four door Avantis produced in 1990. The last that I knew, the prototype went to Youngstown with Cafaro. I have heard conflicting stories about it since then. Hopefully, someone knows for sure that it survived and where it is.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A photo of this car is on page 143 of Studebaker 1946-1966 The Classic Postwar Years by Richard M. Langworth. Mr. Langworth writes: "We come at last to the Avanti-based prototype sedans, a notchback and a fastback, built under Raymond Loewy's direction by Pichon-Parat in Paris--Loewy's answer to (Brooks) Stevens' ideas for the next generation of 'standard' Studebakers. These cars were shown to management in the spring of 1963, but the declining fortunes of the company prevented them from being seriously considered for production. They still exist in South Bend, and examination shows they were well finished, with complete interiors (except for mock dashboard instruments), upholstered in cloth reminiscent of the more luxurious Citroens. Both have engines and presumably run. One is on display with other Studebaker vehicles at the Century Center in South Bend." This book was written in 1979 and the mystery remains. I sincerely hope that if these prototypes went with one or another owner of Avanti Motors, they are returned to the new museum. Now would be the time so they can be carefully looked after and shared with the Studebaker motoring public.

Studedude1961
          --1963 Cruiser

Studedude1961
          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

All of the prototypes that have been mentioned have survived. The Studebaker National Museum does not own these and never has. They are owned by a private party in Minnesota who is not active in the club. I have photos of the cars. RTQ

R. Quinn
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
            X