PDA

View Full Version : Red paint for 1962 wheelcovers

Scott
11-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know of a good off-the-shelf match for the red that goes in the center of the 1962 hawk wheelcovers? Does anyone have a good method for masking off areas of these things? I still can't figure out how they do such a good masking job even at the factory.

Also, I've tried sending a message to the fellow who was selling on eBay vinyl stick-on bits to re-do wheelcovers, but he has disappeared! Does anyone know this person? Is he still alive?

garyash
11-07-2005, 12:26 PM
For red paint, try a local model shop for Krylon "Short Cuts" paint in 1 oz bottles, color "Red Pepper" (code SCB-005) and some thinner. It may be close. You can pick up some high-quality brushes with fine tips while you are there. It can be sprayed when thinned a little, with an airbrush or small Preval sprayer. If you paint outside the area, use a popsicle stick or tongue depressor sharpened to a chisel point to shave off the excess just before the paint sets up hard. The factory probably had rubber masks to spray through or silk screens.

For the vinyl inserts, search Ebay for a vendor named "studestu" from Kimball, Nebraska. He has a number of items for sale now. Also, if you click on the "Members" button on the top of this page and search on "studestu", it says his name is Stuart Tritt. If you then click on "studestu", you'll get a form to send him an email directly. He has posted on this forum, but not for a couple of months. According to the SDC roster, he does own a '63 GT Hawk, so you may have a willing helper. I did a Google search for images of Stuart Tritt and here's what I found:
http://net.unl.edu/nextexit/dreams/stude_03.html

[Hmmm, so much info about people here on the Internet...]

Gary Ash
Dartmouth, MA
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
www.studegarage.com

rockne10
11-07-2005, 07:46 PM
A very flexible 3M fine line masking tape should be available at your local auto parts supply; available in several widths. I used it to do my 63 wheel covers. It makes tight curves and leaves crisp edges.

dcoffield
11-07-2005, 08:31 PM
For the circle outside you could go to your local vinyl sign person. Have them cut a hole the correct size and use it as a mask.

DilloCrafter
11-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks for that tip about the 3M fine masking tape, rockne10. That's what I need to help mask off my truck's front grille to paint it in this non-production paint scheme that I like:
www.rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/nonproductionPaintScheme.jpg

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup (image link below)
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/currentstate.jpg

Scott
11-07-2005, 09:57 PM
I finally found StudeStu with the vinyl wheelcover stuff. I think I'm going to give that a try and see how it goes. The information on the red paint may still come in handy, as will the 3M tape. They make so much stuff... In fact I live in the town where they manufacture Scotch tape.

But since I hate masking with a passion, I thought I'd try the vinyl route first.

rockne10
11-08-2005, 09:07 PM
I don't have the stock number of the tape handy but it's a blue vinyl material, rather than the green paper tape we're accustomed to.

Transtar56
11-10-2005, 11:08 AM
I bought on E-Bay the whole decal kit for these wheel-covers.
Im not sure who the seller is,but I think if you do a search you'll find him because he sells regularly.
The kit even includes a few extra of the red triangular decals that go around the rim,in case you screw a few up (I did )
The centre decal is a bit tricky to install and takes steady hands,so if your the shakey type you might try a good shot of rum before attemting the job. The lazy "S" has its own decal. It was a bit time consuming but after the job was done I had to admit Id never have been able to make them look this good with paint.