This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Radio's

Hello, Currently, I have (10) 1950 Philco radio's setting on my bench. I am looking for a book that could teach me on repairing my radio's. Currently, I have check all of the tubes. All tubes tested good. All Vibrators check good as well. I just need to a book to teach me on the art of repairing these stude Philco stratoline radio's. Please advise

I know of no specific books put out on repairing old car radios.
    However, if you seek out collectors of tube radios in general, they may be able to steer you in the right direction on how to understand and repair these.
    After all, they are really just 6 volt tube radios. They aren't really different from table top radios from 1950, except for the voltage.

In my experience, what dies on these radios are the capacitors. After 40+ years of sun and cold and sun, they just plain dry up.

In the old days, there were technical book publishers such as SAMS, which put out books of things like radio and TV schematics. You might be able to find some still existing copies of their old books (eBay, Amazon). I doubt they are currently in print, if the company still exists at all.

The other thing that goes bad is the fabric insulation on the wiring. It rots and frays, creating shorts.
    If the tubes have all tested good, as you say they have, check the wiring and solder connections for corrosion and fraying, change all the capacitors and resistors, and see if the old bugger won't come back to life.
    They are basically no more complicated than what a person could build in their kitchen during the 1920's. They are user serviceable!

Comment

Roy,
      I picked up several SAMS car radio books a few years ago. If they are anything your are interested in let me know I'll dig them out. Email me: dpson1954@adelphia.net
      Dan

1960 Lark Convertible
      1962 GT Hawk
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Thank for the offer. However, all of the radio's come with shematics inside the box. If I need the SAMS book for something other, I would appreciate the information.

Comment

Working...
        X