PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Champion Carb WE715S

Jerry Johnson
11-04-2005, 04:25 PM
We are still looking at a rebuilt engine which at this time will not run. As the carb is pushing raw gas into the intake, the seller seems to think a rebuilt carb is in order. I called all over and could not find anyone who stocks a Carter WE715S, so have determined that we will have to go to a rebuilder. Here is the point of this post. The guys at the local Studebaker club say it is nearly impossible to get a rebuilt which will not leak, I am wondering what the experts here on the forum think about that?

DilloCrafter
11-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Are your local Stude club friends saying that rebuilt carbs leak because they have experienced that in ones that were rebuilt many years ago, and are now being filled with destructive alcohol-laced gasoline?

If so, why not rebuild it yourself with a kit from one of the reputable Studebaker vendors? These new kits should be using parts made of chemical-resistant materials.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Jerry Johnson
11-04-2005, 05:25 PM
I guess we did not get into a discussion about time frame. I just assumed they were discussing why to rebuild. In general, the conversation seemed to go like this. "Why rebuilt, the thing is just going to leak anyway, there is most likely nothing wrong with the one you have". I disagreed with them, but then a rebuilt runs $175 to $200 and before I ordered one was just wondering what the guys on this forum though.

rockne10
11-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Carb bodies are cast of porous metal. They are chromated to seal the body, preventing evaporation or leakage through the body. Carbs that have been rebuilt a number of times may have lost that chromation; your float bowl could evaporate while the car sits in the garage, making for hard starting.

If the chromation is still good, you can rebuild it yourself for the cost of a kit, about $45, pay someone else to do it, or go ahead and buy a rebuilt carb. If you do, be certain it has been rechromated.

I would go the first route for several reasons:
It's not rocket science
It's a learning experience
It may be all you need
It's cheapest
If it doesn't work for you, you'll have some firsthand knowledge when you order your new carburetor

DilloCrafter
11-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks for that information about the chromated bodies preventing leakage, rockne10. That was very educational. Now I wonder if I should not have rebuilt that old core I bought on eBay (but have not installed yet). I can tell it doesn't have much of that chromate coating, if any, compared to the "new old rebuilt stock" one that I bought (I needed two Carter WEs, to fit on the dual intake I have yet to install on the little Champion six).

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

BRUCESTUDE
11-04-2005, 09:15 PM
THE CARB THAT CAME WITH MY (LONG GONE) '53 2R5 CHAMPION REALLY LEAKED GAS INTERNALLY. A SIMPLE REBUILD WAS ALL IT TOOK, AND THEN IT RAN GREAT! THOSE PAPER GASKETS DRY OUT AND SHRINK OVER TIME.
TRY REBUILDING IT YOURSELF; MOST KITS COME WITH AN EXPLODED VIEW AND SOME SORT OF DISASSEMBLY STEPS. THEN SET THE IDLE ETC. TO SPECS. [8D]