ground of generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ground of generator

Are the 12 volt generators used in 1956 pos or neg ground. Would one expect a 12 volt generator( say 1956, 57,58 ) to fit in a 1955 President State?

1956 was the first year for Studebaker 12 volt applications. The 12 volt systems are negative ground and of course, will bolt right on a 55. .... but the 55's are 6 volt positive ground, which is world of difference...

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

If you make the swap, be sure you polorize the regulator because you don't want the points to stick and cause a fire.

Comment

I have had one fire. I have a new wireing harness through the fire wall, now to connect both ends. Everything is labeled. Any suggestions? All are wanted![:I]

Comment

As Bob has said, it will bolt right on like it's supposed to be there. Of course, if you're hoping to USE a 12V unit in a 6V car (55 in this case), it's gonna have to be negative ground and you'd have to have at the very least, a 12V regulator - not to mention just about everything else in 12V style, motors, bulbs, solenoid, etc.. Only the starter motor will live and thrive on 12V and it doesn't care WHAT polarity it sees.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X