This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New museum? Why not a new website?

I've heard GREAT things about the new Studebaker museum. I'm exited about the realization of a lot of work by a lot of people, but WHY on earth can't the museum get a clue about how to maintain a website? I think their website borders on the incompetent. What kind of a museum is going to promote itself by only rarly and occasionally putting up new pictures of the progress of a building they know very well thousands of people are excited about?

What kind of a museum board, director or website developer is going ot maintain a picture of their OLD decrepit building on the front page of their website AFTER the new one has opened?

What kind of museum is going to allow old, stale information to remain on the website and only barely maintain any news about what's happening now?

Why would I want to donate to a museum that so poorly creates a positive progressive image on the internet? Why does this remind me of the attitude of management that got Studebaker in trouble - crumbling, antequated facilities, etc.?

COME ON! We have a new museum. Let's not wait until 2006 or later to get the website on track!

What he said!!!!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Make your views known:

scook@studebakermuseum.org
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Before you go too far, they intend to update the website, but when you are up to your ass in alligators, it may take a while to drain the swamp. They have been very busy with the opening.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 GT Hawk
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        53 Street rod
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Tell them directly.
          Offer your services to help.
          What have you done to make things better?
          Have you been to the old museum?
          To the new museum?
          Do you know what is involved in that effort?
          This forum is a great place, but it shouldn't be a whiner haven.
          Give 'em a chance.
          They just opened up last weekend.
          Have you donated to the SNM?
          Just curious.
          Stones and glass houses comes to mind...

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I've heard GREAT things about the new Studebaker museum. I'm exited about the realization of a lot of work by a lot of people, but WHY on earth can't the museum get a clue about how to maintain a website? I think their website borders on the incompetent. What kind of a museum is going to promote itself by only rarly and occasionally putting up new pictures of the progress of a building they know very well thousands of people are excited about?

What kind of a museum board, director or website developer is going ot maintain a picture of their OLD decrepit building on the front page of their website AFTER the new one has opened?

What kind of museum is going to allow old, stale information to remain on the website and only barely maintain any news about what's happening now?

Why would I want to donate to a museum that so poorly creates a positive progressive image on the internet? Why does this remind me of the attitude of management that got Studebaker in trouble - crumbling, antequated facilities, etc.?

COME ON! We have a new museum. Let's not wait until 2006 or later to get the website on track!
          DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
          '37 Coupe Express
          '37 Coupe Express Trailer
          '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As the author of "A Gripe about SDC", I discern a pattern here. Those with relatively few postings (New to SDC) do most of the 'whining' as you call it, and those with lots of postings ( Old to SDC) invariably wind up defending the status quo or 'daring' the newbies to roll up their sleeves and fix the problem themselves.

While that response may be sound reasonable to the veterans, it's a turnoff to the new guys. What it tells the Newbies is that if they expect any changes in the organization, they can jolly well wait until they have the time (retired?) or resources (wealthy?) to TRY to change things. They won't wait, and they won't 're-up' next year.

Those with years of involvement or at least affiliation frame their response with the assumption that younger folks have similar attitudes about 'joinership', or membership in fraternal organizations. They don't. Member roles in this, and nearly all other 'fraternals' are in free-fall. Younger people don't want to invest time, but if they perceive value, they will invest cash.

Considering the millions that went into the Stude Museum, $10K or so to hire a pro website builder to showcase the institution on the Web seems like chump change. The only excuse I'm willing to accept from the museum is that the 'old guard' are such technopeasants that it wouldn't have occured to them.

So while you 'experienced' guys make a point which was valid in the past, and perhaps inspired some to 'get busy', it's having the opposite effect now. Like the other 'youngish winers', I really don't know how to address this problem constructively, but all fraternals have it and NO ONE to my knowledge has the answer.

51 Commander State Sedan
            Butler PA

Comment

No one objects to bringing up a issue. In fairness, I felt mentioning the website is a lower priority then finishing the move and making you aware that the website update is in the pipeline.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              64 GT Hawk
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              53 Street rod
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Scott & 51, I'd submit that you've got a heavy case of assumption as ammunition. However much was spent on this museum, it's been at least 35 years in coming. And whoever's fault it's been that it's taken that long is now irrelevant. The one thing that IS relevant is that whatever the new museum cost to build, it isn't close to being paid for yet. Have YOU made a pledge or donation? That's certainly something that IS within your power.
                $10K is "Chump change" when you have it at your disposal (as opposed to on your wish list) and it isn't already earmarked for some other triviality.
                Be honest with yourselves. Do you see a new website generating a stampede for South Bend? The actual "staff" of the museum is small. Alot of what goes on there is a result of volunteering. As JDP and Jeff say, give 'em time to get stuff in order and get things running like a well-oiled Studebaker. I'll bet they'll be all too happy to oblige you & Scott's critisizims.
                After 35 years, we old, sloth-like geezers have learned to that patience pays. It's real easy to bang out critiques on your keyboard. It's another thing to actively rectify them.

51 observes: "So while you 'experienced' guys make a point which was valid in the past, and perhaps inspired some to 'get busy', it's having the opposite effect now."

Well, I've been saying for years now that one of the biggest impediments to the perpetuation of the Studebaker "hobby" (as well as many other, time-honored "hobbies" like model airplane building - which I just happen to have practiced for many years)is the "instant gratification" factor that young folks have grown to expect. This by the very fact of being immersed in that phenomenon their whole lives.
                Folks want it NOW - not after investing time and effort. If there's a bottleneck - certainly, throwing money at it will straighten things out, right?

51 Laments: "Like the other 'youngish winers', I really don't know how to address this problem constructively, but all fraternals have it and NO ONE to my knowledge has the answer."

Welp, that WOULD be a problem now - wouldn't it. Let's hope that someone who DOES know happens to come our way.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:[i]I really don't know how to address this problem constructively,
                  That is apparent.

Dave's Place
                  Studebaker Emporium
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Most of those of us that are now retired and have some time to spend on things like SDC weren't in that position for most of our years of activity in SDC. I was a Director of SDC for 18 years. For 15 of those years, I worked full time (at least 50 hours per week) and had a lot of other things to attend to. People tend to find/make time for what they really want to do. I wasn't always a senior citizen. I was in my twenties when I first became active in SDC and the local SDC chapter (President, Editor, Meet Head). For young people that now look at the administration of SDC and see a lot of older people, it wasn't always that way and shouldn't be that way now. You young people need to step up to the plate and take on the responsibility of running SDC. Since the discussion started with the Museum, a similar argument applies. There are very few full time SNM employees and they have been very busy with getting the new Museum up and running. I am sure that they would welcome constructive volunteer efforts. Also, please keep in mind that the Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC) and the Studebaker National Museum (SNM) are completely separate entities.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

May I inject some levity, briefly? StudeGary mentioned he was once a "Meet Head"...made me wonder if his mother-in-law was Edith Bunker?
                      Okay, I'll go away now, back under my car...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

quote:[i]I really don't know how to address this problem constructively,
                        That is apparent.

Dave's Place
                        Studebaker Emporium
                        Ok, Dave, I'll take the bait. You seem to be very much into Studebakers, have your own website, etc. You've got 150 posts, so I know you have lots of advice to give....

How do YOU think SDC should stop the decline in membership?? HOw do YOU plan to appeal to younger prospective members??

-- by suggesting that folks are too busy to make improvements, like JDP above?? (Seems to me the website should have been 'polished' a good six months before the museum moved, not after...)

--by suggesting that newer member's critical comments constitute wining, like DeepNHock?

--by suggesting that young Boomers and Gen-Xers are impatient and unwilling to pay off the debt incurred by the Old Guard, as Mr. Biggs states??

--by detailing many years of service, and superior organizational skills, as StudeGary, or

--simply by being glib, StudeDude....

All the time and effort all of you have invested in this organization has resulted in what exists today, but prospective members are interested in 'what happens next', not the past. If you want to stay in the past, just keep up the line of discourse you've got here, and your future is safe.... and finite.

51 Commander State Sedan
                        Butler PA

Comment

Many members will never see the new SDC museum and many never saw the old one. Some of us make every-coupla-years pilgrimages to South Bend but most don't. Younger people interested in Studebaker nowadays tend to look up Studebaker on the Net so we certainly want the new Museum to have the best website we as an organization have the time and dollars to develop. I'm sure that once things calm down at the new museum changes will be made.

I understand the new museum will make you want to bawl with pride the minute you walk in the door. I can't wait to see it!

Studedude1961
                          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

>I really don't know how to address this problem constructively,

>>That is apparent.

>>>Ok, Dave, I'll take the bait.

I wasn't trying to, "Bait," you. That's not my style.

I'm all for [u]constructive</u> criticism. As you pointed out, your approach is not constructive in nature, I was simply agreeing with you in that regard.

Find a way to Constructively express your concern in a positive way that does not involve criticizing, condemning, and complaining, and I will gladly engage in conversation with you.

In the mean time, I wish you the best in your endeavor. Really. I agree with what you are saying to some degree, but your presentation sucks.

The rest of your bait, I spit out, because I found it to be quite distasteful.

Dave's Place
                            Studebaker Emporium
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

For many years the name Studebaker was not a proud one in South Bend, after it put two thirds of the population on unemployment.

Time has healed.
                              The city has established a wonderful museum. We have THE BEST CAR CLUB IN THE WORLD.

We can contribute:
                              to each other on this forum
                              to the museum if we can afford it
                              to the club if we have the time

I'm not finding this discussion productive.[V]
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X