X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation: Oil Seal Leak Treatment

hi!
    have oil leaks on some seals that will cost significant effort to get to. Would like to have a temporary solution until I can get an engine hoist set up.

I used to use (in the '70s) oil seal conditioners to "swell" the seals. At the local Autozone, I find 7 products that "fix leaks", but at least four of them are really viscosity improvers...same as changing from 30W to 50W.

So the question is:
    1. Is there a product that really "seals" or "swells" the seals?
    2. Positive experience (yours or of a friend that you saw the results.)

please, urban myths need not respond...

I used a few, with different results. I've had Transmedic fix leaks in a AT, also had it blow out the front seal compleatly. Never had a bit of luck with engine seals though. The stock front seal is felt, so no help there, and the rear does not seem to respond to snake oil fixes.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    53 Street rod
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Since you don't want urban myths, hurry up with the engine hoist. If such a "potion" existed, lotsa Stude vendors would have the stuff for sale![}]

That said - there IS a very temporary fix that is a topical treatment. That is to say, it gets sprayed on wherever you detect leakage. The stuff actualy forms a skin over the leaking area and it works - for a while. NOT every time, but I've seen it work on stuff of my own here. Most notably, I had a floor jack that leaked after I rebuilt it. Goofy thing was MADE without seals or gaskets at each end of the fluid resevoir. It would leak a spot wherever I left it set overnight. I followed the direction on the aerosol can of this leak-stop and the jack quit leaking! It's made by Permatex but I can't ever remember the stuffs product name. Little 4 or 5 OZ. can with an applicator nozzle (tube).
      Won't fix a leaking front or rear main seal tho. Only replacement will take care of them![V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:That said - there IS a very temporary fix that is a topical treatment. That is to say, it gets sprayed on wherever you detect leakage. The stuff actualy forms a skin over the leaking area and it works - for a while. NOT every time, but I've seen it work on stuff of my own here. Most notably, I had a floor jack that leaked after I rebuilt it. Goofy thing was MADE without seals or gaskets at each end of the fluid resevoir. It would leak a spot wherever I left it set overnight. I followed the direction on the aerosol can of this leak-stop and the jack quit leaking! It's made by Permatex but I can't ever remember the stuffs product name. Little 4 or 5 OZ. can with an applicator nozzle (tube).
        Won't fix a leaking front or rear main seal tho. Only replacement will take care of them!
        well what's the use then? Those are the only places my engine is leaking! (or if it's leaking somewhere else, the front and rear mains are spewing so much oil by comparison that it's hard to notice.)

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Mine leaks profusely out the front and back seals, too. But after 50 years and 110K miles, I guess that's normal. Rebuilt engine to go in soon, though. I wonder how long before it starts to leak?

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon
          Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

go through and tighten up the bolts a bit.............

Comment

Nate, the use is that it can stop a leak at a gasketed juncture like an engine oil pan or valley cover or even a atup trannie pan gasket. It's just a band-aid to fixing it right. Not a cure.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What about synthetic oils? Have you heard of them causing oil leaks? I started using the castrol brand and now am finding Both front and rear seals leaking.
                Charley and the left pulling Avanti (known as "Lefty")

63 R2 Avanti

Comment

Synthetics have been known to aggravate leaks, due largely to their higher levels of detergents and inhibitors, especially in units that haven't had regular and/or frequent changes. (An automatic transmission that hasn't had a fluid change in 20 years is likely to leak with new fluid, whether it be natural or synthetic.)

That being said, my original '64 259 actually leaks less out the rear main seal after a year of driving with Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40, than it did when I got it. I have no scientific explanation and your method may vary.

MarkC

MarkC, 64 Y8
                  Working in Spokane, WA

Comment

What Mark said. I have noticed the same effect with Rotella as he notes with synthetic. My '55 coupe was dry as a bone when I started working on it, now the front and rear mains are like the Exxon Valdez. I attribute that to the fresh oil simply cleaning all the gunk out, and I'll be much happier when the inside of the engine is completely clean and there's new seals on there rather than wondering when an old, gunky seal is going to let go and start spewing. I'll get it out of the way now and then it'll be all good

Actually I have two Studes, both have leaked like sieves from the front and rear mains, transmission tailshaft, and the rear axle pinion. I think replacing those seals, as well as the wheel bearing seals, should simply be considered part of the acquisition cost of a "new" Stude.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I have actually been told that all studes leak and burn oil and that if you find one that doesn't, it probably doesn't have any oil in it. Mine wasn't leaking two months ago so I guess its normal now.
                      Lefty

63 R2 Avanti

Comment

Well, it will be hard to swell up a rope seal, or a felt seal.....
                        And a nitrile rubber seal?
                        The chemicals used in the leak stop additives will actually cause the nitrile rubber to swell up. If the swelling is too much, then the seal lip will acutally burn against the shaft it rides on, and the situation will deteriorate to a point worse than before.
                        A band aide fix at best.
                        Short cuts like this will only lead to a more expensive repair in the long run.
                        (A former seal company rep)
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by tsterkel

hi!
                        have oil leaks on some seals that will cost significant effort to get to. Would like to have a temporary solution until I can get an engine hoist set up.

I used to use (in the '70s) oil seal conditioners to "swell" the seals. At the local Autozone, I find 7 products that "fix leaks", but at least four of them are really viscosity improvers...same as changing from 30W to 50W.

So the question is:
                        1. Is there a product that really "seals" or "swells" the seals?
                        2. Positive experience (yours or of a friend that you saw the results.)

please, urban myths need not respond...
                        DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                        '37 Coupe Express
                        '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                        '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Speak of the devil, Mr. Former Seal Company Rep... you got my timing cover done yet? I would love to get my new cam in and stop my engine from leaking but there's just one thing missing

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          62 Daytona hardtop
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Sheesh.. I just got home from Pittsburgh (985 miles in 23 hours...what sleep...even with a quick motel stay..?)
                            I'll try to get George's and yours started this weekend...
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Speak of the devil, Mr. Former Seal Company Rep... you got my timing cover done yet? I would love to get my new cam in and stop my engine from leaking but there's just one thing missing

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            62 Daytona hardtop
                            DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                            '37 Coupe Express
                            '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                            '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Hey, I know you work on the squeaky wheel principle... Damn car is too nice not to drive (took it on the highway for the first time today, tracks very nicely at an indicated 70 and doesn't heat up at all! woo hoo!) but it is marking its territory very badly. I've lost a quart in maybe 100 miles, and most of that seems to be laying on the front crossmember.

nate

(I'm a PM so I do the same thing a lot of the time)

(squeak, squeak, squeak <G&gt

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              62 Daytona hardtop
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                              X