PDA

View Full Version : Radiator 63 Lark

LarkMark
10-30-2005, 09:37 PM
I have a 63 Lark with 6 cylinder engine. The radiator is crumbling. I have to run the car with no pressure in the radiator, or it blows holes everywhere. So, I need to have it recored or replaced. Is there a modern radiator that will fit? (or be "made" to fit). Are Lark radiators available someplace? (My auto parts store just looked at me funny).

MARC
Punxsutawney,PA

rockne10
10-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Marc,
Your local radiator shop should be able to recore it. Or contact abstude@sunlink.net and ask Al if he still has the recored radiator Brad sold him and plan on meeting him at the Reedsville, Pa. swapmeet November 18-19-20.

LarkMark
10-30-2005, 10:49 PM
I was hoping to get to Reedsville on Saturday. I need to figure out the most cost effective way to fix the car. It's a driver, not a show car! So I want it to be reliable. Over drive is on my wish list too, so I was going to be looking into that at Reedsville too

MARC
Punxsutawney, PA

N8N
11-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Just FYI, you can trade radiators between Larks and GT Hawks just by installing (for a Lark) or removing (for a GT) the speed clips and little metal plate for the "CAUTION FAN" decal. So if you're looking for a "good used" radiator, you don't have to limit yourself to Lark stuff, or, say, someone offers you a fresh recore for a GT for a good price, buy it.

good luck

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

am not r2
11-01-2005, 09:02 PM
I am currently having Griffin do an aluminum unit for my 64 daytona. about $250 to my door. I will have to make some brackets and the like but it still better than a local 550 dollar 3 row recore. and as for a swap of on old unit...well if you push it hard it is still a 50 year old radiator. it is gonna' leak.Just my two cents. rich

Transtar60
11-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Just shop around local radiator shops.
I was able last year to get a heavy duty recore for $230 at a local shop.

They hadnt raised their prices in 15 years(They've been around lot longer than that). They still are in business so they must know what they are doing.

garyash
11-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Actually, you can get a brand new Studebaker radiator from Dennis Lambert at SASCO. I got one from him for my '63 Wagonaire (OHV6) recently for about half what a recore would cost. Dennis knows which radiators from other years will fit your car if he doesn't have your exact part number in stock. It was even a small thrill to see it arrive UPS in an original Studebaker box. Just call SASCO, ask for Dennis, and tell him what you need.

Unfortunately, Dennis can't seem to get his web site updated with his no-longer-new area code. The phone number is 574-287-3381.

Gary Ash
Dartmouth, MA
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
www.studegarage.com

Roscomacaw
11-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I just had two Lark rads redone for $220 each. The guy had to change the way the new core fit to the old tanks but it takes a real Stude nut to recognize the difference.;) BTW, these two units went from 2-row to 3-row at that price.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS