X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil spots

My studebaker leaks a little oil, don't they all
    anybody have a favorite cleaner for this problem?
    the concrete seams to absorb the oil
    Thanks everybody

steve strait

In Branson,MO.(while at the Orph Meet) I found huge oil drop pans in Wall Mart. This looks like a cookie pan 3 X % feet. They must be in stores, I paid$9.00 , I think. Any way,the oil drops are not a problem now.

Comment

Oil dry, looks like kitty litter, available at your Friendly Local Auto Parts Store. New Pig Corporation manufactures oil spill absorption products. Griot's Garage has microbial cleaners (microbes actually eat the oil).
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Actually, I put the oil dry in the big drip pan. No muss-no fuss.[]

Comment

Studebakers,like Harleys,do not leak oil.-They mark their spot!
          How about a simple piece of cardboard under the car?

Home of the Almostahawk
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Thanks everyone
            I was looking for a cleaner that actually works.
            have tried gas, tide soap several cleaners like CLR
            and still have a stain.

brake clean works but spendy.
            Maybe somebody has a home brew that will work

steve strait

Comment

I have used laundry detergent (the powered kind) Sprinkle it on, mist with water, let soak, scrub with stiff brush, rinse and repeat, letting it soak longer the second time. The best effect for me has been applying it just prior to rain.

Ross.
              57 Provincial
              58 Transtar
              66 Wagonaire
              sigpic
              Ross.
              Riverside, Ca.
              1957 Provincial X2
              1958 Transtar

Comment

For the stain look for a cleaner that has TSP in it (tri sodium phosphate) .. Wear gloves and ventilate the garage. Mixes with water.
                ZEP is one company that sells this to shops and businesses (http://www.zep.com/ProductCatalog/Pr...subSection=993)
                Maybe a local shop will let you have a scoop of this stuff. It works great.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by sshawk

My studebaker leaks a little oil, don't they all
                anybody have a favorite cleaner for this problem?
                the concrete seams to absorb the oil
                Thanks everybody

steve strait
                DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                '37 Coupe Express
                '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This stuff actually works:
                  Try Gunk's SC (Super Concentrate) Degreaser. It comes in a blue and white gallon can and you mix it with kero. Sounds weird but it actually does remove stains from the concrete.

Mike

Comment

Kitty Litter on the oil spot and then take a block of wood and rub,grind,etc the kitty litter over the oil spot. this will remove oit marks off cement floors.

Comment

I had the best success with Spill Magic, which used to be available (maybe still is) from Wal-Mart. It's a powder that comes in a milk carton shaped container.

Also, while soaking my gas tank yesterday in the driveway with POR-15's Metal Ready etching solution (mostly phosphoric acid, in solution), I noticed later where some had run off of the plastic drop cloth and onto the concrete. Even though I diluted the runoff as it was occurring, the previously brown-stained concrete really cleaned up in that spot. Must be due to the phosphoric acid. Therefore, I would go with that TSP recommendation made in a previous post above.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
                      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                      The Red-Headed Amazon
                      Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

The best product I've found is called "Purple Power" available at my local FLAPS. Do not get it on your paint! Works good, even removes old, deep oil stains on concrete. Spray it on, rinse off with water.

Comment

Once upon a time I was working on a new house and ding danged if my truck didn't leave some oil on the new driveway,, piddle,, so I bought some off the shelf driveway cleaners, applied, and was unimpressed. A year later I looked at where'd I had done the deed and damned if the concrete wasn't failing. A buddy told me that cement powder will do the trick. I think it takes mother nature about a year to largely clean it up.

Comment

Working...
                          X