PDA

View Full Version : 62 GT Hawk

collectorfig
10-26-2005, 10:41 AM
I am relatively new to the Studebaker arena and am trying to restore a 62 Hawk GT-- Can someone tell me what interchangability is for the frame.....what years and models are common and would fit ?

Dick Steinkamp
10-26-2005, 10:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by collectorfig

I am relatively new to the Studebaker arena and am trying to restore a 62 Hawk GT-- Can someone tell me what interchangability is for the frame.....what years and models are common and would fit ?

'53-64 Coupe and Hardtop (C and K model) frames will fit (some minor bracket changes), but you probably want to stick with a 62-64 frame. The frames got thicker metal as the years progressed. The GT Hawk frames are the thickest.

What is your reason for seeking a new frame?

-Dick-

swan hawk
01-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Sugestions wanted for the order of rebuilding - i.e. start with the weather stripping - secure the body from rust then go to the running gear? Currently the garage is not avialable but the car runs (somewhat.)
Thanks[?]

Dick Steinkamp
01-23-2006, 10:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by swan hawk

Sugestions wanted for the order of rebuilding - i.e. start with the weather stripping - secure the body from rust then go to the running gear? Currently the garage is not avialable but the car runs (somewhat.)
Thanks[?]

Depends upon how "deep" you are going to get into it. If it will be a complete restoration, the usual process is mechanicals (engine, trans, suspension, rear end, etc.), then body work and paint (then weather stripping, window seals, etc.), then interior.

-Dick-

studegary
01-24-2006, 02:49 PM
I agree with Dick S's comments, with one caveat. If you are going to do any driving of the car during your "restoration" process, start with brakes, followed by steering/suspension.