This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 studebaker info

I am just looking for some help. I bought a 54 studebaker a couple of years ago. It is a Commander coupe completely restored. I am trying to find out its value. It has the 232 V8 with the 3 speed automatic transmission with overdrive. It was made in Canada. Any information on how I could find out its value would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Jason

Jason,

A little confusion on the transmission? If it's truly an automatic (no clutch pedal), it has 3 speeds, but no overdrive.

If it's truly an overdrive transmission, it will have 3 pedals, and a "three-on-the-tree" shifter.

Studebaker called the overdrive feature "automatic overdrive" for a number of years, but only the overdrive unit itself is automatic to any degree.

The Canadian-made '54 may differ from the U.S. model in some trim features, etc., but is substantially the same.

I'm sure other posters to this board are much more cognizant of market value than I am, so I'll refrain from making any guess.

BTW, if it is the three speed manual with overdrive, it's the best transmission to have, in my opinion.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jcalder

I am just looking for some help. I bought a 54 studebaker a couple of years ago. It is a Commander coupe completely restored. I am trying to find out its value. It has the 232 V8 with the 3 speed automatic transmission with overdrive. It was made in Canada. Any information on how I could find out its value would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Jason
      Jason,
      More info and pictures would be needed to help you set a value on the car. There is a wide range of conditions as to what different people call "completely restored".

Go here http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...ngpolicies.asp (it's right here on this SDC site) and download the judging form. Compare your car with how it would appear as a new car on the showroom floor for both authenticity and condition and write a detailed description. Post 10 or more good pictures on a web site of the overall car, plus as many detail shots as possible of interior, engine, undercarriage, trunk. Include the "warts".

Assuming it's Regal trim and not Deluxe, the Old Cars Price Guide has a range of from $4700 for a condition 4 car (a driveable vehicle needing no or only minor work to be functional) to $16450 for a condition 2 car (superior professional restoration). Old Cars Price Guide is generally a little high in my experience.

Good luck,
      -Dick-
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

More information would be needed. Some people refer to both the Starlight coupe (C body) and the Starliner (K body) as coupes. Which do you have? Is it a Regal or DeLuxe trim level (assuming Starlight)? You either have overdrive or automatic transmission - not both. Which is it? By "restored," that means as delivered new in equipment and condition. Without further information and pictures, my rough guesstimate is $12,000.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
        X