PDA

View Full Version : Rotor Location in Distributor when Engine at ING

Jerry Johnson
10-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Should the rotor point to 10 O’clock or the 4 O’clock when the dampener is at IGN? It seems that these are the two conditions that could happen considering a slotted distributor drive and with vacuum advance at 10 O’clock, which seems right considering where the vacuum advance line is coming from. You would think the 51-shop manual would show this, but it does not and nowhere is it discussed. If someone can help on this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

51 Champion Six 169 ci

gordr
10-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Jerry,

The simple answer to your question is, Yes.:D

Since the distributor is driven off the camshaft, it makes one revolution for every TWO of the crankshaft. So, both positions are "correct."

If you have a closer look at the harmonic balancer, I think you'll find several other marks, one for top dead center, and one that says "IN OP 1-6", which means that mark serves to check valve timing for both #1 and #6 cylinders. Likewise, the other marks also serve to denote TDC and base ignition timing for both #1 and #6. There simply wasn't enough room to repeat 1-6 in those locations.

One of those two rotor positions should be #1 and the other #6 spark plug wire.

I think you want to determine if the wires are in the right towers on the distributor cap, right? Then just remove the spark plugs, put a finger over the #1 spark plug hole, and gently "bump" the engine over on the starter until you feel compression. Stop "bumping" the engine when you see the timing marks approach the pointer. Now turn the engine by hand until the "IGN" mark is on the pointer. The distributor rotor should now point to #1 cylinder. If #1 wire is NOT in that tower on the cap, put it there. The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4, so make sure the other wires are installed in sequence from #1. I think the distributor rotates CCW, but I could be wrong, so double check.

In a Champion engine, the oil pump drive gear is what actually drives the distributor, and it has to be installed correctly, in order that the distributor can be set up with the wires in their usual places. If the engien was torn down, and that little shaft installed wrong, then yo have to follow the above procedure to find where the wires have to go in order that they the spark meant for them.

Hope this helps,

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Dwain G.
10-23-2005, 07:53 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/stude-find-1-cyl.jpg

Dwain G.