PDA

View Full Version : Mopar Intake to Stude Adaptor plates



oldvinyl
10-23-2005, 03:50 AM
I require a set . It appears that some folks are paying really dearly for adaptor plates. What goes here ??? A CNC milling machine should pump out nice units reasonably fast and inexpensivly. Tom.

DEEPNHOCK
10-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Yes Tom, indeed, it should.
I don't have a CNC mill, or I'd knock out a bunch.
Have you priced the set up time and mill time to do this?
It isn't cheap, by any means.
The port angles are not straight shots.
They are all off by about 2 or 3 degree's in all planes.
I have a shop working on water jet cutting these for me.
It looks like I'll build a 4 place jig (holds 4 adapters, all at the needed angle for the flow jet, which runs perpendicular to the table.
If I can get it set with blank studs and quick release hold downs, it would be a quick 4 step change to get it all done.
Last quote I got for some open time on the CNC mill worked out to about $200 a plate. If I were to commit to 200 plates it would come down a bit.
How close are you to actually having an engine ready to run this type of setup?
Jeff[8D]



quote:Originally posted by oldvinyl

I require a set . It appears that some folks are paying really dearly for adaptor plates. What goes here ??? A CNC milling machine should pump out nice units reasonably fast and inexpensivly. Tom.


DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

oldvinyl
10-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Hi Jeff, Its great that you have taken steps to get things in the works. yes Its costly set up time. There is another route that you could do fairly well, . sand casting these plates may be the all around choice. I have made casting molds out of high density woods to make trim exterior parts., I know that It wouldnt take too much effort to produce good castings out of aluminum or bronze. final machine work would be minimal, and if enough material is left in port area, customers could custom port match to their combination. As for my engine combination, Its going to be atleast another year before I get It flashed. Its also a show engine, has some very nice chrome work done. I am polishing up my water manifold in prep for chrome soon. My cylinder heads are nearly completed., they are heavily modified split port R design units Ill be glad to E-mail pictures as soon as camera gets back from hollidays. (shop camera). Best regards and thanks for your Input, Tom.

Stude4x4
10-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Here's another machinist who can back Jeff up. Speaking from experience the set up time is the biggest cost in doing a job. Most people don't realize how much time is involved in engineering and making fixtures.
-Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

oldvinyl
10-26-2005, 12:02 AM
If anyone has actual dimensions or can spare a set, or one spacer Id like to cast a trial run. I have a forge and ingots ready to go. Tom.

royvaldez
10-26-2005, 01:54 AM
Hello, Mr. Oldvinyl, where are you located? I am located just out side of Placerville, Ca. Also, (Stude 4 X 4) I would like to visit you all on Saturday. I need you guys to machine me an intake out of Aluminum for my 289 motor. I seen your last job and it looked great. Please advise. Roy

oldvinyl
10-26-2005, 09:08 AM
Sorry Roy, I think maxwell house is still building them???? :DTom.

Stude4x4
10-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Hey Roy,
Yeah we'll be around on Saturday. I Primered my truck on Monday and am waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can finsih it. I'm not sure I understand what you want machined but we'll definitely take a look at it, we'll do about anything.
-Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

oldvinyl
10-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Hi Roy, Sorry for the lip, I have some interesting pictures that hopefully will make everyone drool. Iam not going to give all the secrets out just yet. As soon as my wife gets home, Ill post some pictures of the R-3 Clone block. Its based on a 1955 Canadian built thick wall casting. Engine # VC7579 . Intakes???? stay tuned. Tom.

DEEPNHOCK
10-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Canadian built thick wall casting?
What are you smoking?
Jeff[8D]



quote:Originally posted by oldvinyl

Hi Roy, Sorry for the lip, I have some interesting pictures that hopefully will make everyone drool. Iam not going to give all the secrets out just yet. As soon as my wife gets home, Ill post some pictures of the R-3 Clone block. Its based on a 1955 Canadian built thick wall casting. Engine # VC7579 . Intakes???? stay tuned. Tom.


DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

oldvinyl
10-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Hi Jeff, Dont smoke. Some of the Canadian castings were good ones to bore out, After sonic testing cylinder walls on several engines We have noticed that the 55 blocks VC # 7000-up came out really well in preliminary sonic testing., after the cylinders were completed @ 3.655 the end results were consistant at 187 thou. wall thickness. the other engines were 62-64 American and Canadian castings with full flow oiling. A 57 president 289 was a good candidate for large bore. The full flow blocks that we tested were probably not good for over .060 overbore. as there were some cylinder walls that seemed to have cores shifted too much. In addition we also noted that when machining the 55 block the material was harder than some newer blocks. I will correct myself Jeff, It seems that overall the earlier blocks were more consistant after testing. Not to say a good full flow block could not be found. The 55 blocks that we tested are better all around . I would like to know the exact casting percentages. I have Pictures of our VC # 7579 engine that Id like to show, but dont know how to transfer pics, Thanks Tom

DEEPNHOCK
10-28-2005, 07:24 AM
What was the name of the foundry casting Studebaker blocks in Canada???



quote:Originally posted by oldvinyl

Hi Jeff, Dont smoke. Some of the Canadian castings were good ones to bore out, After sonic testing cylinder walls on several engines We have noticed that the 55 blocks VC # 7000-up came out really well in preliminary sonic testing., after the cylinders were completed @ 3.655 the end results were consistant at 187 thou. wall thickness. the other engines were 62-64 American and Canadian castings with full flow oiling. A 57 president 289 was a good candidate for large bore. The full flow blocks that we tested were probably not good for over .060 overbore. as there were some cylinder walls that seemed to have cores shifted too much. In addition we also noted that when machining the 55 block the material was harder than some newer blocks. I will correct myself Jeff, It seems that overall the earlier blocks were more consistant after testing. Not to say a good full flow block could not be found. The 55 blocks that we tested are better all around . I would like to know the exact casting percentages. I have Pictures of our VC # 7579 engine that Id like to show, but dont know how to transfer pics, Thanks Tom


DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Transtar60
10-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Now I'm confused?? I thought there was only one Studebaker foundry, the one in SB. ??

Roscomacaw
10-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Wow! Canadian-cast Stude engine blocks. By McKinnon maybe???[}:)]

On second thought - maybe that's why the SBC cranks fit up! :-O

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

N8N
10-28-2005, 03:13 PM
I think his observations are probably valid however, the difference being the year of casting, not what is stamped on the number pad. I have heard from several different sources that the early blocks tended to have less core shift than the late ones, and that blocks cast in 55 or shortly thereafter would be the best for a hi-po buildup as those were the first cast with the 259/289 bore size.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
10-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Ah... I was just having fun, Nate. But the truth is, Canadian castings doesn't interpret to early run blocks. ;) Canadian cars (that had Stude engines in them) always had SB-cast blocks in them.:D
It's casual gaffs like that that spawn urban legends.[}:)] Kinda like when someone posted to this forum awhile back wherein he intimated that Stude and AMC blocks were cast at the same foundry.[xx(] Not true.[8] Sorta like the mythical Packard V12 car of the 60s.[B)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

oldvinyl
10-29-2005, 01:05 AM
Overall, the South bend foundries were used. There may have been some cross country exchanges in castings and parts in general. One of the foundries was GWC that also poured for GM, Rambler, Chrysler and many others. As far as the stude block issue I never meant it to sound like a Canadian only thing, or superior. And as for those that laugh about the crankshaft. Things are really close And especially in a raw Bowtie Gm forging. This may be the more desireable way to obtain larger stroke, and not that yould want too much more. 3.75-3.76 would be great. As for the Stude crank into the Chevy engine It really did happen. Either Hank the crank, Crankshaft company, or Henry Velasco did the job. My guess is Velasco. Henry was an absolute brilliant person, and considered the best in the race industry . I will find the Article ASAP. Iam not a great fan of Welding crankshafts, and this is how this subject all got started. Any bit of input here is vital, as parts are getting really thin, especially good 289 crankshafts. My suggestion may proove to be a viable way all around. I would think that cutting a GM raw forging will save you more money aswell. If anyone has an NOS 289 crank in the box, Ill gladly buy it off you., Tom.