This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Champion Engine - No Fire in the Hole

All you need besides the connections to spin the starter is 6V to the coil. Does he have the polarity correct on the battery? A '51 engine would be positive ground.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

He did not when I got there, but I had brought my 1951 shop manual with me and showed him that it should be Positive Ground so he changed that around.

Six volts to the Plus side of the coil and then the minus side of the coil going to the distributor[?]
      quote:Originally posted by N8N

All you need besides the connections to spin the starter is 6V to the coil. Does he have the polarity correct on the battery? A '51 engine would be positive ground.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop

Comment

Since it's Positive ground, the coil's + side should go to the distributor. Reversed connection of the coil's terminals will result in less efficient spark. Weak spark may be because of that or a bad condensor or incorrectly set point gap. Are you using a 6volt coil? Some 12volt coils have internal resistance built in. That would inhibit the spark too. A 1/2 inch spark jump is too much to ask for.

Generator & regulator not necessary to run.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Also, a good coil will emit a nice blue spark; red, orange, yellow=weak coil.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Jerry,

Lots of unknowns in this instance. First, I'm agreed with the others that for a test run like this, generator and regulator are irrelevant You don't even need the fan belt hooked up if you are only going to run it a few seconds. If it is set up with a rad and coolant in place, then, yes, connect the fan belt so the water pump can circulate the coolant.

If the seller was mistaken about the polarity of the battery, he may have installed the coil with (-) side to the points. Hooking up a six-volt battery "correctly" would then be "wrong" for that coil.

For the purpose of test-running the engine, I'd just use a 12 volt battery and be done with it. You won't hurt anything as long as you avoid the following: cranking so long the starter overheats, or, leave the the coil connected to 12 volts for a long time without cranking or running.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
            X