PDA

View Full Version : 1928 Studebaker roof

Feo
10-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I just bought a 1928 Studebaker in pretty clean and complete condition but it needs a new roof, I would like to find original wood type roof. Major problem......where in the world does one find major body parts for a car so old?????

Swifster
10-19-2005, 11:33 PM
I may be wrong, but I doubt anyone makes these to buy off the shelf. Many restoration shops would disassemble what you have and use the old parts as patterns for new pieces. I'd find a place that specializes in wood bodywork, like on woody wagons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

Roscomacaw
10-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Feo, a good lumber supply place will have the necessary wood (probably Ash) that you'll need to fabricate your Stude's roof framework from.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

rockne10
10-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Feo,

If I were you I would join the Antique Studebaker Club. Contact members in your area who have restored these cars and find out who they would recommend, assuming this is not a job you're up to.

Hemmings Motor News would be a good resource but satisfied customers would be your best bet. I don't get Hemmings but, every couple of years, I buy a copy of Hemmings Almanac; no classified ads, only contact information and not an exhaustive list; only those who have paid to be in the almanac. Still a good resource.

dpson
10-21-2005, 08:38 PM
The first car I ever owned was a 1928 Erskine 2-dr sedan (a Studebaker spin-off, named after then Studebaker head, Albert Erskine. Actually, when you think about it we're talking a pretty big ego here, to be head of a company and to spin off a seperate car brand in your name.) The Erskine had the typical body construction of that era, which is a sheet metal skin around a wooden frame. There were a few exceptions to this, such as most Dodges and even the 1923/24 Studebaker Light Six touring cars which used "all steel" bodies. Anyway the top and main structural members of the Erskine had wood rot and as I got into it I found that I was beyond my skills and the equipment needed to replace the wood. As luck would have it a local (high)trade school was offering a night course in wood working and with the help of the instructor I was able to fabricated the wood parts that I needed. The best advice I can offer is to photograph, measure and save everything that you have. Be patient and you should be able to craft the parts you need to replace the wood in your car. The wood to use in the frame of your car is white oak. It is superior in strength and is compatibile with the sheet metal.

1960 Lark Convertible
1962 GT Hawk