PDA

View Full Version : hydrovac

len
10-18-2005, 09:46 AM
If I removed the hydrovac unit from my brake system on a 1955 Is there any other changes I would need to make to just have a conventional system. Thanks

Dan White
10-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Why do you want to remove it? Properly set up they work just great. If you need a rebuild I believe John Poulos has a source for reasonable $$. My '64 had been converted from disk/drum hydro to drum all manual. Went back to the original setup with the hydrovac and it worked great. If you remove it you may need to make some other changes to the pedal stroke etc and it will take some additional effort to stop.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Mike Van Veghten
10-18-2005, 02:03 PM
I removed mine years ago with no ill effects (59 Lark, 259, auto trans.).

Too much cost involved to rebuild for the gain, don't need power anyway. Steel Tech disc in front with stock drum in the rear.

Just make sure to put a brake new line from the MC to the junction block near the left front tire.

Dan White
10-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Mike I disagree. My wife did not like driving my Hawk with the manual brakes and when I put the hydrovac back on it stops and right now. She has no problem at all now. Rebuild costing $150 is not bad at all, well within the cost of rebuilding other power units. I have Steeltech on the front and drums on the rear as well and I can stop on a dime with hardly any effort. There has been several discussions on this forum concerning eliminating the hydrovac and the pedal stroke etc. The design is slightly different between power and no power, and can effect the way the brake system works.

I like the hydrovac well enough to probably put one on my '50 Hudson when it is done, a lot of mass there to stop. Ford used these units into the 70's on pickup trucks!

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Roscomacaw
10-18-2005, 03:44 PM
To answer len's question straight on - no, no other changes necessary to achieve non-power brakes. However, there was a different pedal/arm assy used on the PB cars that afforded less pedal travel (read that "leverage"). This might make the pedal effort increase more (than it should) with the simple removal of the booster.:) Also a different pedal return spring for non-PBs.;)
Later years saw more different parts between power and non-power brake setups.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Stude4x4
10-18-2005, 04:11 PM
We got disc brakes on the front of two of our 3/4 ton pickups and no hydrovac. They stop just fine. We put a hydrovac on one truck and it stopped a little too quickly.
-Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Mike Van Veghten
10-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Dan....

You disagree........"to what", that I lied...in fact I really DON'T like my braking action ??

Sorry to admit.....I really "do" like my brakes the way they are...period. And I guess also must admit...I'm not a 100lb female!

Isn't that why the manufactures came up with power brakes and steering (which I also removed!), for the average woman and light weight men?

Peace

Dan White
10-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Mike I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you over this. You do what you want to your car and that is fine. What I disagreed with you was on your comment: "Too much cost involved to rebuild for the gain". I did not call you a liar or otherwise. Nor do I assume that you are a 100 lbs woman, but glad you clarified that issue. Just because you like the result does not mean everyone else will and same goes for my comment, not everyone may like the hydrovac action. If the hydrovac is working properly and it is removed the result may not be what one would expect and rebuilding it is an option.

Enough said.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

DilloCrafter
10-18-2005, 09:05 PM
I appreciate hearing the input from everyone's perspective on this topic (and all other topics here on this forum), since I'm planning to put Turner disc brakes on the front of my truck.

Let's just try to treat each other like fellow Studebaker owners should do, not like owners of some of those other brand vehicles ;)

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Dan White
10-19-2005, 08:29 AM
If you decide to get rid of your hydrovac I may be interested in buying it since I still need one for my Hudson.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

sasjdw
10-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Can anyone provide the name and phone number of the reputable rebuilder of the hydrovac units? $150 sounds reasonable to me if the work is done correctly and the finished product looks good.

Thanks.

James D. Wilkerson

Dan White
10-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Contact John Poulos, avanti@erols.com. for the rebuilds.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

JDP
10-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Dan, I have a rebuilt hydrovac that will work fine on your Hudson. $175 to your door, no core needed.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk