PDA

View Full Version : Delco ignition part numbers

mjeansonne
10-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Trying to get my wife's 62 Hawk started this weekend, I found that I had no spark at the plug. Very faint spark at the coil. The car has been sitting for about 4 months, so I figured a point file was in order. Used the file, but still no better. Probably need to give the distributor new points, condensor and rotor cap. I figure the parts are available locally, but...

All my other Studebakers have Prestolite Distributors, so that's all I'm familiar with. I intend (later) to change to electronic ignition.

Here's my question(s):
What are the part numbers for these items, either in Standard Brand or NAPA? Any help would be appreciated. This is the Delco Distributor Model that has the Large round rotor cap held on with two screws.

Thanks for the help.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

hank63
10-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Maybe I saying the obvious, but before buying all those bits I'd use my volt/ohm-meter to ensure there wasn't something else causing the weak spark (like a corroded, high-resistance joint).
Don't forget the coil, first time I had one go bad it took me quite a while to figure out. Easy check - try another known good coil.
/H

Roscomacaw
10-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Points are Echlin#CS786 - Condensor RR175 - Rotor RR166 - Cap RR165

If you filed the points (and, of course, cleaned them to remove any abrasive contaminants after you filed them) and still got a weak spark, the condensor should be your prime suspect. Coil would be next.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS