PDA

View Full Version : 62 LARK SEAT BELTS

prager
10-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Hello all, does anyone have any ideas on seat belt updates for a 62 Lark? The lap belts are fine by me, but my wife is heavy with child and I would like to get a better set up, at least for her... that still looks factory, or at the least not too out of place..Any ideas? Thanks!!

Studenut65
10-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Prager,
I have a 65 Lark that I bought as my first car. At the time, during high school, it was my daily driver and to make it safer, I did put 3-point belts in it. I bought them from a company that made seat belts for street rods. To connect them to the pillar between the front and rear doors, my dad and I welded some brackets in there and bolted the seat belts to them. We then covered up the brackets with the original metal plate that was alreay on the pillar. It looks pretty nice and I don't loose points at shows. Now that I have my second car, I wish I could have the original belts back but, for safety purposes, it just makes more sense to keep the belts. They work great! I'm sure you will have further questions and I will help out all that I can.

Nate

prager
10-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Nate, thanks for the info..I don't have a metal plate on the pillar, I guess I could maybe rig up a GM type with the plastic cover over the bolt on area..how high up on the pillar did you have to go? Thanks!!

jjones
10-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Try www.julianos.com. They have lots of OEM style belts, and might even have Studebaker stuff. In any case, the sell 3-point shoulder harnesses to fit or adapt to most anything.

Studenut65
10-19-2005, 02:02 PM
I only went up about midway between the roof and the top of the back of the seat. Just where it feels comfortable for you. I put it where it felt comfortable b/c I knew I wasn't going to be able to adjust it up and down like these new cars. If you have any other questions, Im heading home this weekend and can take a look at the car...its been a few years since we put them in.

Nate

studeclunker
10-25-2005, 05:03 PM
The only three point setups that were available for street vehicles consisted of two belts. One was attached to the top of the door posts. This was the "shoulder belt". There were spring clips on the edge of the headliner above the window to hold the belt (folded up) when not in use. The other was the lap belt. This continued till the mid seventies. You might consider looking in a late '60s Caddie for the appropriate setup. Their belts were the best of this kind. Elsewise the setup will look like the Street Rod or track setups available in the '60s. Good luck.;)

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

prager
10-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all of the tips guys!! What I found that I'm hoping will work, is a pair out of a chevy van. The retractor mounted to the seat base and the sholder part mounted to the pillar. I was going to mount the retractor to the floor next to the seat, and bolt the sholder part, after cutting down a bit, to the door pillar..Is the pillar strong enough to drill and tap, or do I have to weld something in? Thanks