This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places to get parts rechromed

Not that I'm really anywhere near the point of getting parts rechromed, but I wanted to go ahead and ask if you guys had any vendors to recommend. I won't be trying to get museum quality stuff out of this... mostly to get to a nice looking driver quality.

And to get some ballpark prices to work towards, I've called:

1. Dan's Polishing
    2. Tri-City Chrome
    3. Graves Plating
    4. Jerry Forrester
    5. Gateway Plating
    6. Custom Metal Finishing
    7. The Finishing Touch

Other recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated, as would any offers of pieces for the regal trim to a '51 Commander. My stuff is just pitted pretty badly (with a dent on a headlight bezel and a nose ring). [B)]

Eman, it would help to know where you are? The shipping can be a killer if you ship halfway across the country. If you want someone to do a pretty good job, not show chrome, and at a reasonable price these guys do that.
    Sun Polishing and plating
    LeRoy, IL 61752
    309-962-3018

Mike

Comment

Of all the places on that list I've only used Jerry Forrester. He's done a decent job on the few pieces I've sent him.

Jim Turner recommended a guy near York, PA whose name escapes me. I was going to try to use him (for the potmetal work for the car that Jim now owns ironically enough) but he didn't want to do it (and I appreciate his honesty.) Might want to drop Jim a line though (turnerbrake.com) I would not recommend the shop local to me that actually did the work (the Chrome Factory in Maryland) they did a nice job on the parts but 3 months turned into more like 9! The car had already passed through two hands before I got the two pieces back from them. Also it looked like they had a hard time soldering the broken pieces together although the repair did not show from the front.

I will probably be using Qual-Krom in PA for the parking light housings on my '55 coupe as they also require some soldering work to make "right" again. Potmetal (esp. broken or badly pitted potmetal) is apparently something that a lot of chrome guys don't like to mess with, even ones that do a spectacular job with bumpers and other steel parts. However, this will be the first time I will have used them so I am only basing that on recommendations I've received. The Chrome Factory offered to do them, but I'd like to drive the car this millenium!

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The place near York, Pa was probably LiBrandi's in Middletown. Good stuff, show quality. What he couldn't do he recommended Pot Metal Restorations in Tallahassee, Fl. All expensive! All work perfect if you can afford it; even pitted, broken potmetal.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yup, that's it. I just didn't recall the name because I've never actually had any work done there.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks! I'll have to do some more calling around now.
            By the way, I'm in Alabama.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

The place near York, Pa was probably LiBrandi's in Middletown. Good stuff, show quality. What he couldn't do he recommended Pot Metal Restorations in Tallahassee, Fl. All expensive! All work perfect if you can afford it; even pitted, broken potmetal.
              A few years ago, Pot Metal Restorations in Tall. destroyed a set of 66 mustang convertable top chrome trim I sent them for rechroming. I had to throw them away and buy new ones. Paul's chrome in Penn. did excellent work on a 58 Chevy station wagon I was doing for a customer, but I understand the owner passed away and his hiers are running the shop so don't know if standards are still high.
              I think Jerry's would be fine for what you are doing and he is not that far from you.

53commander HDTP
              53 Champion HDTP
              61 Cursed Purple Hawk
              64 Champ long bed V8
              64 GT
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I had my tail light housings and one fin end cap done at Labrandi's. They do real nice work. It cost $425 for the three peices. They did a real nice show quailty job. Job turnaround was about 8 weeks.
                Jeff Sheaffer
                Driving the past into the future

Comment

I'll vouch for Jerry Forrester... But he doesn't like pot metal very much... He doesn't like a lot of things
                  Jeff[8D]
                  quote:

Originally posted by Eman

Not that I'm really anywhere near the point of getting parts rechromed, but I wanted to go ahead and ask if you guys had any vendors to recommend. I won't be trying to get museum quality stuff out of this... mostly to get to a nice looking driver quality.

And to get some ballpark prices to work towards, I've called:

1. Dan's Polishing
                  2. Tri-City Chrome
                  3. Graves Plating
                  4. Jerry Forrester
                  5. Gateway Plating
                  6. Custom Metal Finishing
                  7. The Finishing Touch

Other recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated, as would any offers of pieces for the regal trim to a '51 Commander. My stuff is just pitted pretty badly (with a dent on a headlight bezel and a nose ring). [B)]

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                  '37 Coupe Express
                  '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                  '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                  X