PDA

View Full Version : Myer's Studebaker Core Charges

mtdoraford
10-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Recently, I posted a question on the right amount of time for core charges to be refunded. I received several answers and I called today and heard an "attitude" from I believe is the daughter or daughter-in-law, over the phone's background.

The fact is the cores were shipped back on 8/22/2005 from the Eustis pack and ship. Today is 10/12/2005 and I have not received a copy of the large credit for over $500.00 Only after I heard the "attitude" on the phone, did I decide to write this note. So far I purchased $4,474.00 in parts from Myer's Studebaker.

This is not like going to the 7/11 store and getting an attitude from a clerk making $7.50 an hr.

Core charge refunds should be a number one priority for a business selling parts and holding my money. This is not the way I do business or will do business with people with a "crappy attitude". She should be fired for incompentence and losing business.

Roger Hansen
Mt. Dora, Fl.

curt
10-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Is the core charge, to be sent?

DEEPNHOCK
10-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Were the core(s) in acceptable condition?
Did they receive them (did you send the cores return receipt requested?)
"Attitude" is always a hot button subject.
On this forum we do not know all the details enough to make a competent judgement. We don't know what the original agreement was.
Her 'attitude' may well have been a reaction to your 'attitude'.
Perhaps if the situation cannot be resolved between the two parties, then a small claims court filing may be in order.

Something sounds amiss here, as I have not had any problem dealing with this vendor, either as a buyer, or a seller.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by mtdoraford

Recently, I posted a question on the right amount of time for core charges to be refunded. I received several answers and I called today and heard an "attitude" from I believe is the daughter or daughter-in-law, over the phone's background.

The fact is the cores were shipped back on 8/22/2005 from the Eustis pack and ship. Today is 10/12/2005 and I have not received a copy of the large credit for over $500.00 Only after I heard the "attitude" on the phone, did I decide to write this note. So far I purchased $4,474.00 in parts from Myer's Studebaker.

This is not like going to the 7/11 store and getting an attitude from a clerk making $7.50 an hr.

Core charge refunds should be a number one priority for a business selling parts and holding my money. This is not the way I do business or will do business with people with a "crappy attitude". She should be fired for incompentence and losing business.

Roger Hansen
Mt. Dora, Fl.

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

wagone
10-12-2005, 08:49 PM
I've had a problem with this vendor myself. Seems the only recourse is to no longer deal with these kinds of individuals. And I do not have an attitude problem--not unless I'm backed into a corner by a "crappy" attitude or service from a vendor. Some of these people seem to have an attitude like "we should feel lucky they are in business or we'd have no one to purchase from". I won't give them my repeat business. Only my two cents worth, but I really get upset with a few of the "club suppliers" and nothing ever seems to get done about it by way of improvement.
wagone

curt
10-12-2005, 09:28 PM
We have a questionable supplier of goods in another car club I belong to. This man found out the hard way when chat people got exchanging stories. As said,there are two sides to every story. I hope the core situation resolves positive for both parties.

prager
10-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Sounds like the score on this topic is two for the bad, 2 for asking questions...has anyone else had any business with these folks?? Good, Bad...etc??? We as Stude restorers and drivers need to know whom we can trust with our money and who we can't..I hope this all works out as well, but I'll think twice before doing business with the before mentioned supplier..I know there is two sides to every story, but there are also 2 folks in this thread who may have got the raw end of the deal..[V]

Dan White
10-12-2005, 09:52 PM
I have bought from Myers and gotten questions about certain R1/R2 Stude issues answered without any problems or attitude.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

GTtim
10-12-2005, 09:52 PM
I've dealt with Myer Studebaker many times and it has always been fine. In fact Jon Myer helped several times in one day when I had questions regarding a tach sender that I did not even purchase from him directly. I think Jon and his son (sorry I forget his name) have gone out of their way to provide scarce NOS and good used parts and perhaps more importantly to provide information as to what part is correct, especially when it comes to performance parts on the R1 and R2 cars.
Tim K.

Alan
10-12-2005, 10:41 PM
I have known Jon Myers since the 60's when he was in Culver City, we used to race each other out at San Fernando Raceway. He is a straight shooter and a good guy to do business with but when the Old Lady is on the rag watch out.

Kdancy
10-13-2005, 05:33 AM
Roger, please keep us updated on this. That is a sizeable chunk of change and the vendor should have taken care of this before now. I find whenever communication stops or is one sided, it is a bad sign.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

wagone
10-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Many of you apparently have had good relations with Mr. Myer. I wish I could report that mine has been good also. I've got (only) some hundred dollars down the tubes with him as he sold me a component which was not suitable for our cars. He won't get any more of my business as when I spoke to him about it he lost his cool and had a definite "attitude". I hope that the originator of this thread can work it out with Mr. Myer.
wagone

DEEPNHOCK
10-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Did he sell you what you asked for?
Was what he sold you defective?
Was the product damaged?
What do you mean by unsuitable?

Vendors relationships are 'usually' hard earned and fiercly protected.
In both of these cases I see as many questions that need to be asked and answered on both sides....
I do hope that Myers at least gets the opportunity to reply....if they choose to.
The proper place would be between the two parties involved.
I hate to see dirty laundry aired out here... It just stinks up the place.
Jeff

quote:Originally posted by wagone

Many of you apparently have had good relations with Mr. Myer. I wish I could report that mine has been good also. I've got (only) some hundred dollars down the tubes with him as he sold me a component which was not suitable for our cars. He won't get any more of my business as when I spoke to him about it he lost his cool and had a definite "attitude". I hope that the originator of this thread can work it out with Mr. Myer.
wagone

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

wagone
10-13-2005, 08:20 PM
I agree with Deepnhock that this is not the place to air dirty laundry and hence I will drop this thread. But mtdoraford appears to have a point.
wagone

Kdancy
10-13-2005, 09:23 PM
I personally have no problem with some one posting a Stude vendor issue after they have tried everything to get it rectified. We can't go down to the local auto zone or Napa and get the items to restore or keep our cars up, for the most part. I'm not sure why our experiences dealing with Stude vendors should be a "secret" as most of us that own Studebakers depend on the vendors for parts. 2 months for not recieving a 500.00 credit is more than most of us would accept and a good thing to know the next time one needs the same type service. Customer service is certainly an issue I would consider before purchasing an item and how else do you learn about it?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

Bunzard
10-13-2005, 11:58 PM
How can months go by with no communication from the vendor? If the cores were not acceptable for credit the buyer should have been notified so he could make a choice of their disposition. Did the cores ever arrive at Myers address. Does the customer have a receipt showing that shipment was made? As a former shop owner this whole thing just doesn't smell right. I have dealt with crooks both wholesalers and customers and hate both kinds. I have had email conversations with Myers but have not made any purchases from them.
An explanation from Myers would be helpful to those of us who may be future customers.

spookys
10-14-2005, 10:46 AM
This is Linda, the person that Mr. Hanson heard in the background. I did state that Betty could look on the credit card return form to see that I had refunded him his money on October 5, 2005 after I had talked to him. Then he gets his credit card statement in the mail and the credit is not on there and he calls again.

I am also going to state on here that he is EXTREMELY lucky that Jon is a very nice guy. our disclaimer states very CLEARLY in paragraph 5, Core Charges, that you MUST include a copy of the invoice with the return for you to recieve your refund in a timely fashion.

I know several of you that have posted here on the newsgroup have been to our shop/garage and know the volume of calls and especially the technical calls that can last up to an hour and a half. We do not ahve time to look things up and print out past invoices until we have the time. Who's to say when that will be.

I am also going to state here that Mr. Hanson has left a few other things out of his post. I understand he was upset but all the facts need to be put here if people are to make an educated comment.

Mr Hanson ordered a King pin kit. only used part of it and sent the rest back. I know that Jon was very upset and he was busy getting orders out and has a waiting list for carbs to be re-built, distributors to be converted and re-built, and has been trying to find time to re-build the carb for his own truck. He did not have time to go through the box and re-figure the costs at the time the returns came back. AGAIN, THERE WAS NO INVOICE IN THE BOX.

I cannot and will not pressure Jon to go through items that customers send back without the information. Studebaker International's policy is that if cores come back with no invoice they are considered a gift. We have instituted policies to make it easier for customers and us to make the returns and refunds.

Our policy for core or parts refunds is that I process them once per month. If I have to go looking through invoices to determine what needs to be done I charge a $5.00 No invoice fee.

Mr. Hanson has also omitted that he called on the 25th of August and Jon said that we would use the credit on file to send out his order which was shipped on August 26th, 2005. Jon also said he would not charge the 15% re-stocking fee for the valve guides and the waive the no invoice fee.

I feel that Jon was being way to nice and I also feel that if we have a policy we should follow it. But depending on the day you talk to Jon and if he is in a good mood, he waives these fees.

I am not bashing on Mr. Hanson but want to make it very clear that I just don't sit here all day long filing my nails and putting on lipsitick and fixing my hair. I too get frustarated when customers cannot or will not read the disclaimer sheet and then get upset with us because they cannot follow directions. If there are any other vendors out there or if you work in the retail economy, do you refund items when there is no reciept included? I know when I shop at Sears, K-Mart, Auto Zone, etc. that I must take in proof of purchase. When I return items bought through the mail I must include my information to recieve the refund. We are no different.

One of our pet peeves, like other vendors/retailers, is that folks will order kits, such as engine rebuild kits, king pin kits, and they will use what they want the send the rest back wanting a refund. This is one reason, along with no invoice being included, it took so long for him to recieve his credit.

This is a long tag onto this post but I feel it is neccessary to have all the information put out here so that I can be blamed if neccessary, but that Jon was more forgiving of the fees than I am. I make no allowances unless I am told to. You are a very lucky man Mr. Hanson.

Linda

60Lark
10-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Follow the rules or don't play the game. It sounds like Roger owes Jon and Linda an apology.

Studebaker Fever
60 Lark
51 Champion
Phil

spookys
10-14-2005, 12:36 PM
I know Linda has already given a reply to Mr. Hanson, but I feel I should at least put my 2 cents worth in.

FIRST- Linda is a very competent business person and without her help we would not be as organized on core charge returns as we are. She has taken the responsibility to have a day for returns. She does them as I go through the units returned and when I give the forms to her she issues the credit memo and issues the credit on the day of the month she sets aside. This helps immensely as we have customers who use the credit on file as Mr. Hanson did.

SECOND- Mr. Hanson has called and received alot of free answers/advice on my time with no charges to him and I spent alot of time trying to help him out as I do with all of my customers at no charge.

When he asked for a kit I exlplained to him then that I normally do not send out kits as such because poeple use some parts and then don't want the rest and send it back. Customers will state they want a kit but with out this or without that, it is no longer a kit then and doesn't get the same discount.

I sent the kit and gave a 10% discount and then got half the kit back and I am expected to go through and seperate the cores from the returned items. Mr. Hanson has done this to me more than once. He also did not follow the intructions on the disclaimer sheet that is sent out with every order which states to send a copy of the invoice back with core returns and part returns. We are no different than any other business. If you purchase something from Jegs you have to include a copy of the invoice to receive a refund. This is just normal policy. All one has to do is follow directions.

We get some core returns back from pack and ship places with no information from the customer, no invoice etc. and we have no idea whom it came from. Some are still setting here for more than two (2) years with no one claiming them. I even had a man who said "How many people could you possibly send parts to in Florida?" First of all it is not my responsiblity to track down how many customers in Florida, and second it is not my responsiblity to correct the problem when I didn't create it.

The cores from Mr. Hanson sat here for some time as there was no invoice and I didn't have time to go through and see why there were new parts in the box with them and no explaination of why they were sent back. Because the parts were sent as a kit he was not supposed to be sending back the parts he didn't want to use. This is the idea in selling as a kit and giving a discount. You need all the parts not just a few items out of the kit.

The next thing is when Mr. Hanson called on the 5th, he was told his core charges would be refunded that day. Then only seven (7) days later he called and wanted to know why it wasn't on his statement. It takes time for the credit card company to credit you on your statement. We run into this all the time. We credit the customers card and the company has held off for up to 2 months before crediting the account. This is an issue with the card company not us.

sorry to rant but we took care of him and have gone out of our way in helping him and even then he complains. If he had simply followed directions none of this would have taken place.

Jon Myer
answerer of questions, cranky on some days, nice on most days.

DEEPNHOCK
10-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Thank you Jon (and Linda) for letting the forum know more about this situation. There usually is more to every story than is often told...
Next time I see Linda, she'd better have perfect makeup, hair, and nails;)... (We'll let John slide on that part[:0])
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by spookys

I know Linda has already given a reply to Mr. Hanson, but I feel I should at least put my 2 cents worth in.

FIRST- Linda is a very competent business person and without her help we would not be as organized on core charge returns as we are. She has taken the responsibility to have a day for returns. She does them as I go through the units returned and when I give the forms to her she issues the credit memo and issues the credit on the day of the month she sets aside. This helps immensely as we have customers who use the credit on file as Mr. Hanson did.

SECOND- Mr. Hanson has called and received alot of free answers/advice on my time with no charges to him and I spent alot of time trying to help him out as I do with all of my customers at no charge.

When he asked for a kit I exlplained to him then that I normally do not send out kits as such because poeple use some parts and then don't want the rest and send it back. Customers will state they want a kit but with out this or without that, it is no longer a kit then and doesn't get the same discount.

I sent the kit and gave a 10% discount and then got half the kit back and I am expected to go through and seperate the cores from the returned items. Mr. Hanson has done this to me more than once. He also did not follow the intructions on the disclaimer sheet that is sent out with every order which states to send a copy of the invoice back with core returns and part returns. We are no different than any other business. If you purchase something from Jegs you have to include a copy of the invoice to receive a refund. This is just normal policy. All one has to do is follow directions.

We get some core returns back from pack and ship places with no information from the customer, no invoice etc. and we have no idea whom it came from. Some are still setting here for more than two (2) years with no one claiming them. I even had a man who said "How many people could you possibly send parts to in Florida?" First of all it is not my responsiblity to track down how many customers in Florida, and second it is not my responsiblity to correct the problem when I didn't create it.

The cores from Mr. Hanson sat here for some time as there was no invoice and I didn't have time to go through and see why there were new parts in the box with them and no explaination of why they were sent back. Because the parts were sent as a kit he was not supposed to be sending back the parts he didn't want to use. This is the idea in selling as a kit and giving a discount. You need all the parts not just a few items out of the kit.

The next thing is when Mr. Hanson called on the 5th, he was told his core charges would be refunded that day. Then only seven (7) days later he called and wanted to know why it wasn't on his statement. It takes time for the credit card company to credit you on your statement. We run into this all the time. We credit the customers card and the company has held off for up to 2 months before crediting the account. This is an issue with the card company not us.

sorry to rant but we took care of him and have gone out of our way in helping him and even then he complains. If he had simply followed directions none of this would have taken place.

Jon Myer
answerer of questions, cranky on some days, nice on most days.

This is Linda, the person that Mr. Hanson heard in the background. I did state that Betty could look on the credit card return form to see that I had refunded him his mone

Kdancy
10-15-2005, 06:06 AM
Isn't the Studebaker Forum a good thing to have for all? Now we get to see the vendor side of the issue.
I order from Mcmaster-carr on a regular basis and some times have to send items back that I can't use for one reason or another. I always put invoices back in with a cover letter and part# of the return. It makes things very easy on the people at Mcmaster-carr to sort and look the invoice up when they recieve. Never had a problem. Just picture yourself being on their end.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

richnan
11-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Are Meyers Stude & Studebaker International one and the same ???

Transtar60
11-04-2005, 10:14 PM
No.

JDP
11-04-2005, 10:52 PM
It's funny about folks and invoices and notes. I sell a few dozen items a week on ebay and a week does not go by that I don't get a check without any info on what it's for. not a description, nor a item number, not even the ebay user name. A few weeks later I'll get a e-amil raising hell about not shipping the mystery item that was paid for.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 GT Hawk
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
53 Street rod

Roscomacaw
11-05-2005, 02:12 PM
While I don't sell NEARLY that much on ebay, I experience the same. I recently sold some brake cylinder repair kits (non-Stude stuff) not long ago on ebay. I sold 3 or 4 kits for different applications at the same BIN price. Two of the buyers sent checks without any hint of which kit they'd bought. Then I have to backtrack or eat postage when I mail the wrong kits to the wrong buyers!:(
But you can damned sure bet they'd be quick to slap me with negative feedback if I wasn't accomodating for their laziness.:(

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

DilloCrafter
11-05-2005, 11:35 PM
That's one big advantage to taking payments by PayPal. Buyers are gonna be lazy, by default. But eBay makes it easy to pay online by giving those Pay Now links to the buyer, complete with the item number and description.

Maybe it will be worth the 2% PayPal fee to avert the frustration you guys so often experience with those lazy, ignorant buyers.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup