PDA

View Full Version : points or electronic ignition

gotti210
10-11-2005, 05:57 PM
im wanting to replace the points in my 50 champ
where can i get these at saco or where or can they be purchased at my F.L.A.P.S.

also should i just drop that idea and switch it over to electronic ignition and where can i get the kit

oh yeah one last thing
i never have evan opened the dist cap on my car
how hard are these point to install

ive change lots of old ford and chevy points but dont evan have the faintest idea whats under the cap on a stude

im one of these if it works leave it alone people but im getting some difficulty starting and some hesitation
my dad (an ol school hot rod shade tree) says clean the points

well screw that if im gonna do it why not do it right and either replace them or upgrade

N8N
10-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Probably easier to pull the distributor and work on it while it's clamped in a bench vice. Just make sure to put it back in the way it came out (might want to put it to #1 TDC just to make sure before you pull it) that way if you drop any screws you can just turn it upside down and start over, and you're not leaning over the fender while you're working

I don't know if any 6V electronic ignitions are available...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

gotti210
10-11-2005, 10:27 PM
the six volt is not a problem
the cars been convert to twelve volt already

Transtar60
10-11-2005, 11:07 PM
For electronic conversion(like Pertronix) check with Cathcart(www.studebakervendors.com) or Dave T-bow has new Champion distribs for 12 volt applications.(see ad in TW)