PDA

View Full Version : door window run channel

Kdancy
10-11-2005, 03:49 PM
I am attempting to put new window run channel in the Hawks door as the new channel some one else had put in was coming apart and seperating from the beading. The new channel I now have is too deep -mic's at .57 to bead and sticks out of the channel about 1/4" with the bead way above the metal channel and it is to narrow at .57 and is very loose in the channel.
I mic'ed the door channel at .689 = 11/16" wide and .43= 7/16 deep. Anyone know where I can get better fitting channel run?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

jjones
10-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Try Chuck Collins in Phoenix--StudebakerParts.Com--Window channel and other window and door rubber parts I ordered from him for my 1947 M5 have fit perfectly and been reasonably priced.

jj

Alan
10-11-2005, 08:23 PM
You could also try Russel Jenks at Champ Specialty Parts in Idaho Falls Idaho 208-390-6306

52hawk
10-12-2005, 12:44 PM
I just checked mine,their not installed yet. They are the same height as original,fit flush with the metal like they should.Looks like they're gonna be just right.I bought them from SI. I also got the catswhiskers from SI,they are just about exactly as original.

Home of the Almostahawk

Kdancy
10-12-2005, 01:12 PM
52Hawk--
Can you give me a measurement from the top of the beading to the bottom of the new channel? Also a measurement across the bottom for width?
The one I have is .57 or 9/16 for the width and .642 or 5/8 for the depth from the top of bead to the bottom of window felt run. When I put it in the channel, the beading is way out of the channel and it is so narrow I don't see how you can keep it in the channel properly as it leaves a space on both sides.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

rockne10
10-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I think 52hawk just told you where to get better fitting channel:

www.studebaker-intl.com

Kdancy
10-13-2005, 05:39 AM
I called and talked to them. I had the fellow behind the counter to measure the new channel. It was the same measurement as the one I just bought. I'm going to call the others and see if their's is the same. Everyone may be using the same source?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

52hawk
10-13-2005, 08:11 AM
I'll measure mine as soon as I get to work.I'd imagine though,that most vendors buy this stuff from the same sources.I'll get back to you during lunch time today,see if I can be of any help.

Home of the Almostahawk

52hawk
10-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Mine are 5/8 wide,and 5/8 tall,total,from the bottom of beading to the top of the channel.The outside of the chrome strips,as measuring from inside the door to outside the door,is 3/4.Layed next to the original,they are identical.They are a loose fit,the originals were glued in.
Looks like they are 1/16 narrower than the door opening. I don't consider these to be 'installed'until the glass is rolled up tightly against them for a few weeks to seat them.
There is a sheetmetal screw to hold them in place,at the top,about 2 inches back from the vent window,you're not going up against that screw,are you?
BTW,a while back,someone mentioned a great idea on these [maybe MR Biggs?]-when you make that crucial curve for the rear upper corner,bend it carefully around the door glass,then install it-I wouldn't have thought of that.!

Home of the Almostahawk

52hawk
10-14-2005, 07:44 AM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rdell2002/album?.dir=a31f&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
pics of run channel--trying out my new digicam.

Home of the Almostahawk

Kdancy
10-14-2005, 09:55 AM
52Hawk, The first picture with the channel installed, is the beading next to the sheet metal? I can't tell. The one I have-- the beading is setting way up off the sheet metal.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

52hawk
10-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Yes,the beading[chrome]is directly against the metal of the door,it is just set up there with tape holding it up,to the left of pic.You don't possibly have something in the opening that doesn't belong there,do you? I just can't imagine a problem,our measurements seem to be the same,SI measures the same,wish I waas there to see.
To clarify,if I set my strip on the floor,with both chrome beads on the floor,the total height would be 5/8 from the floor,right?
Next,the door is made of 2 pieces of metal,the inside'shell',and the outer skin.Looking up into the space where this run strip goes,you see nothing but the shell and the skin,with spot welded areas holding them together,right? if you can't put that strip in there without it protruding 1/4 inch,they're either the wrong strip,or something is in the door that doesn't belong there.

Home of the Almostahawk

Kdancy
10-15-2005, 06:35 AM
Well, I went out and mic'd the one I have and it is 5/8 as well. The channel in the door has metal strips that go across and connect the two sides of the channel sheet metal together, one from each side and then spot welded together. These strips are what the new channel run are stopping on. It looks factory to me. I will have to pull the channel out of the other door and take a look.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT