PDA

View Full Version : C body , door alignment

Kdancy
10-11-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm in the process of alighning the doors on the Cursed Purple Hawk. I have the passenger side door exactly where I want it. I am having problems with the drivers door. The rear of the door is too close to the rear fender, quarter window post. I have played with the body to frame shims and have moved the door towards the front, until it is touching the bend in the top hinge and won't move any more. I am thinking I am going to have to grind some material off the hinge in that area so the door can move forward 1/8". Am I going in the right direction or am I missing something?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

52hawk
10-11-2005, 08:46 AM
This sounds easier than moving the rear fender back,but do you have enough gap between the door and fender/ And enough gap between the door and cowl? Also,if you move the door on the upper hinge,but not the same amount on the lower hinge,the door will start to get too close to the roof. How's the door to roof gap?
That front fender could be shimmed forward a bit[a big PITA if those bolts aren't fresh]but you can't shim the cowl panel forward.
Another way to move that door forward would be to jack with a porta-power from the rear lower corner of the door opening to the upper corner of the front post where the door hinge attaches. This would move the door, fender,cowl and hood all at the same time,keeping the gaps the same,but you may have to adjust the right side of the hood back on the hinge to keep it aligned with the rf fender.

Home of the Almostahawk

Kdancy
10-11-2005, 09:08 AM
I have the front clip unbolted (didn't take much as all the bolts were missing except for the fender to cowl bolts) so for now I am trying to get the other alignment points right. The rear fender and is set like it should be, straight line all the way up to roof panel. The rocker line is nice as well as the top of door to roof line. The front of door to cowl line is a little wide and the back of door to post line is two narrow. I am out of adjustment to move the door forward to even the gap spacing. The gap line is very good.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

52hawk
10-11-2005, 09:43 AM
If every thing is right,you shoudn't have to remove any metal though.If that cowl gap is too wide,you still might be on the right track,those hinges are pretty tough,but they could be bent.
The door to cowl gap on my 61 Hawk is a little big also.But,After looking at a ton of photos of the c-bodys I concluded that the doors and general body alignment wasn't the greatest when these cars were new.[and thats not just Studebaker,its all brands]
After doing much the same work that you are doing to this car,[floors,rockers,body mounts]I can say that just about half my total time was spent trying to make the doors look right,so I know the feeling.

Home of the Almostahawk

hank63
10-11-2005, 10:19 AM
I have worked for 4 different car manufacturers over 20 years. They all treated door-to-fender gaps pretty much the same.
1. Panels had to be level.
2. The size of the gap was not top priority, but the door and fender edges had to be quite parallel with each other.
I can remember many cars gone for adjustment of a tapering gap, but not one for fixing a gap too wide. The odd one had it's gap widened, to avoid door to fender contact.
/H

r1lark
10-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Kdancy,

Try here:

http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/BodyAlign.htm

There is a lot of good info about aligning body panels.

Paul

Kdancy
10-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Paul,
I actually have that copied and in my folder of Stude stuff. It is good but doesn't give me the info I need to actually pull this ajustment off. It would also be nice if he had mentioned how the body to frame bolts affect the door opening adjustments. I have worked on this all day, moving the body to frame points in the trunk and in front of door bottom, screwing around with the hinges and door hing points and have it the best I can get. It is better than it was but not as good as the passenger side.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

52hawk
10-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Hank63,I know what you mean,but the difference here is we're working on cars that have been over the river and through the woods,and to grandmas house,for over 40 years.This c-body of mine has been a challenge,the old girl is so flexable,it's ridiculous!!
At 53 years old,I wish I was half as flexable as this Hawk!!And mine wasn't rusted as bad as Kdancy's...

Home of the Almostahawk