PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Hawk tranny - drip,drip,drip....

HUB
10-10-2005, 02:51 PM
During the upcoming "off season" here in Ontario we're going to have to get something done with the automatic transmission fluid leak on our 1963 Hawk. The tranny shifts well and there are no problems as long as I keep topping up but it's using a pint every 200-300 miles and piddling all over the garage floor.[xx(] Have to avoid parking on anyone's pristine paving stone driveway. Also gets tiresome changing the sheets of cardboard in our garage.
I hate to turn the car over to someone giving them a "blank cheque" to wind up paying for extra work that didn't need to be done. This car sat in storage for 20 years or so before we put it back on the road last August (2004). Tranny was drained at that time and fresh fluid put in. Had the pan off the bottom at that time and a new gasket installed.
[?]So my question for the more knowledgeable amongst the fraternity is, if this was your car, what would you do now? Thanks!:)

studegary
10-10-2005, 03:55 PM
The first thing is to determine exactly where it is leaking from (pan, plug, front seal, rear seal, crack, filler, shift rod, etc.). Clean off all existing fluid and then carefully trace where the leak is emitting from. Then you can attack that one item and not the whole transmission.

Roscomacaw
10-10-2005, 03:57 PM
There's REALLY not many places for it to leak! The pan and filler tube, of course. The front and rear seal and the seals around the shift lever/trottle pressure shafts. That's it!

If you had the tranny out, you could easily replace all of these seals & gaskets yourself inside of an hour or two. The toughest being the shift shaft lever, in my estimation. And that, only because you have to contend with the detent ball and spring.:( They like to go on tours of the garage floor when they get a chance[}:)]. But they CAN be mastered after a few tries.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

kmul221
10-10-2005, 06:58 PM
The rear filler tube going into the pan was the culprit on my 63 GT.
the flange type seal wasn't one of Studes better ideas.I went to the plumming section of Cdn.Tire & purchased several paper compound type "O" type gaskets the kind used on taps.You have to get one with a big inside diam. but a small outside diam. so it will seat around the nipple inside the filler plug hole & still seat at it's base.They are colour coded & believe the one I ended up using was a med. green.
Anyway no more leaks at that particular point in 2 years.Now if I can get the power steering spooler valve to stop sweating fluid even after I had it prof. rebuilt I would have a leak-free GT

Roscomacaw
10-11-2005, 01:42 PM
A really GOOD hardware store. One that has a vast selection of nuts, bolts, screws and little hardware in general, will have the fibre washers that kmul speaks of. There's one such store about 20 miles from me.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

HUB
10-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys. Some helpful hints here and we will heed them for sure. Any further thoughts on this will be appreciated. Cheers :)

sasjdw
10-19-2005, 02:31 PM
I've got similar problems with the AT on my '55 Speedster. It appears to leak in a couple of places: 1) the shift lever 2) the speedometer cable hole. Do any of you have suggestions on how to fix these leaks?

James D. Wilkerson

Roscomacaw
10-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Replacing the seals involved is the only RIGHT fix.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

sasjdw
10-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Are the replacement seal available? IF so, where? Is the replacement a job that I can do in my shop using common tools - taking into consideration that I am fairly experienced with automotive mechanical repairs, but I DO NOT know anything about automatic transmissions and, of course, I won't have any special tools for transmission work. BTW, I've already removed the trans from the vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

James D. Wilkerson