PDA

View Full Version : Oil for the 1963 V-8 block

curt
10-09-2005, 10:16 PM
I saw someone post that the oil for a 1963 (+ or -)was 10W-30. I see 15W- 40 Rotella as the oil most frequently mentioned. What oil is listed in Studebaker books for the 1963 V-8?

studegary
10-10-2005, 03:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by curt

I saw someone post that the oil for a 1963 (+ or -)was 10W-30. I see 15W- 40 Rotella as the oil most frequently mentioned. What oil is listed in Studebaker books for the 1963 V-8?

About engine oil, Studebaker stated; "...the viscosities given in the charts in your Protector Service Booklet." I didn't locate one of these right off, but that doesn't matter. Studebaker also stated; "However, regardless of mileage, oil should be changed every 60 days." How many of us do that? The important thing to remember now is that engine oil and its additive package have changed dramatically over the past 40 years. Personally, I use 10W-30 of a reputable brand and the top quality rating. The dual rating for diesel also makes sense to me. For cars that aren't used much, changing your oil by time, rather than miles, makes sense. The net is; oil is cheaper than engines.