This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Commander

I am interested in this 55 Commander on ebay, is there anyone out there nere Monrovia, CA. I live in Missouri but will not consider buying an ebay vehicle without looking at it or having someone look at it.

[imghttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-COMMANDER-2DR-1955-STUDERBAKER-COMMANDER-Original-Condition_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6466QQitemZ4581222772QQrdZ1#ebayphotohostin gimg]

Studebaker Fever
    60 Lark
    51 Champion
    Phil

I'm too far away or I'd do it (300 miles or so). It looks like it's fairly represented although the photos aren't very crisp (probably a cheap-o digital camera). The rust issues he mentions are typical of a California car.[8D]
    If it runs good and only has the rust he speaks of, I'd say the BIN price wouldn't be a bad deal!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I didn't think it looked to bad, everything he says about the car is pretty typical of a 50 year old car in need of restoration. but my concern are things that aren't mentioned or are misstated. I will have to get a price to have it shipped to Missouri, I can't get off of work long enough to do it myself.

Studebaker Fever
      60 Lark
      51 Champion
      Phil

Studebaker Fever
      60 Lark
      56 Power Hawk
      Phil Hendrickson
      Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Several of us buy many vehicles (Studebakers and others) without seeing them or having them looked at. I am not telling you to do that. That decision is up to you. Add the cost of shipping into your final bid/offer. I have discovered that there are things to be found in used cars if they are looked at or not. I have been mostly satisfied with vehicles that I have purchased without an inspection. I weigh the cost of time and travel against the cost of what might possibly be wrong with the vehicle. One of the reasons that vehicles on eBay with good descriptions and pictures sell at higher prices is because many people buy without inspection.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 60Lark

I am interested in this 55 Commander on ebay, is there anyone out there nere Monrovia, CA. I live in Missouri but will not consider buying an ebay vehicle without looking at it or having someone look at it.

[imghttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-COMMANDER-2DR-1955-STUDERBAKER-COMMANDER-Original-Condition_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6466QQitemZ4581222772QQrdZ1#ebayphotohostin gimg]

Studebaker Fever
          60 Lark
          51 Champion
          Phil
          Phil:

You might want to verify that as being a 259 engine, as stated. The car is a cheapie Commander DeLuxe with the early 2-tone paint scheme and he does not give the VIN number. All those things taken together might indicate an early 224 V-8 car.

That's not the end of the world because the 224 was one tough little engine. But you'd want to be aware of it in case you thought you were getting a 259 as he states.

'Hope you get it bought. I like 55s, and especially Commanders. Go for it! Bob.

BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have a 1955 President with a 289 and the Ford automatic, someone changed the drive train from the 259 and the Stude automatic. This is my first Studebaker and I had no idea about the change when I bought the car;then I got on here. I suspect for a true collector the car is a no,no. but all things considered the Studebaker men are very open to alterations and have not said,'hum,not original'. They are very helpfull. Now, this weekend I'm driving the Studebaker to a Kaiser-Frazer meet in Texas. Some of the KF people are into Studebakers and I'm sure they will like to see 'new blood' in the club.

Comment

I might be able to check it out this Friday morning 10-14-05. I live about 20 miles from Monrovia. Drop me an e-mail.
              Ross.

Ross.
              57 Provincial
              58 Transtar
              66 Wagonaire
              sigpic
              Ross.
              Riverside, Ca.
              1957 Provincial X2
              1958 Transtar

Comment

I contacted the eBay seller and he gave me these numbers:
                serial #8847138 / build code #1668-C-3 5254.
                I have been getting some prices for shipping, to get it from Monrovia CA to St. Louis, MO, I am being quoted $1,000.00 to $1,250.00, does that sound like a fair price? The seller has a "BUY IT NOW" price of $,4,700.00, with $1,000.00 plus for shiping that puts the cost of the car at almost $6,000.00 and it still needs restoration, I am having second thoughts on this one.

Studebaker Fever
                60 Lark
                51 Champion
                Phil

Studebaker Fever
                60 Lark
                56 Power Hawk
                Phil Hendrickson
                Arnold, Missouri

Comment

8847138 is a late-55 Los Angeles- (Vernon-) assembled car, so it originally had a 259. 8843001 was the beginning of the second series (259-engined) Commanders from the vernon plant. BP

BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That shipping is a bear. I paid a slightly high price for a local car without shipping , I drove it home. The lack of shipping made the car a good purchase price 'at the door'.

Comment

That shipping's on the high side - BUT.... that's compared to what I'd heard of before Diesel fuel doubled in price! The trucker's aren't gonna make money if they have to absorb the fuel price increases.[8]
                      Figure, at best, you might get an average of 20MPG if you drove this thing from Monrovia to Missouri. Gas is hovering at 3 bucks a gallon here. Given that, what would it cost you to DRIVE it to your place if you were daring enough to do that with a car you know nothing about[?][:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It is approximately 1900 miles from Monrovia, CA to St. Louis, MO which would be about $285.00 + for gas if it got 20 mpg. If I had the available time I would consider driving it, but that isn't possible, if I want to keep my job. So I think I will pass on this one and keep looking for a '55 either closer or cheaper.

Studebaker Fever
                        60 Lark
                        51 Champion
                        Phil

Studebaker Fever
                        60 Lark
                        56 Power Hawk
                        Phil Hendrickson
                        Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Working...
                        X