PDA

View Full Version : GM transmissions & Stude V8s

Jeff T.
10-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Greetings all,

I will soon be picking up a rebuilt 62 259 for my ever evolving 62 Lark hardtop. If need be I have a frightomatic out of a 66 Commander.

What I also have for parts is a 1980 Buick that I can use for parts. It's transmission from what we can tell is a turbo 350 albeit a BOP version. A good friend of mine with more GM experience says that the difference between a Chevy and BOP automatic is that chevy has a peak at the bellhousing and the BOP has a valley at the top of the bellhousing and all of the bolt holes are that same.

OK has anyone out there in stude land ever used a BOP automatic behind a Stude V8? I am investigating this because I have a BOP auto in hand and....My wife and I are expecting a baby which will be taking most of our spare cash for the next couple of decades:)

If anyone out there has any experience with this please let me know.

Thanks

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

Mike Van Veghten
10-09-2005, 11:51 PM
It'll work fine. You may have to cut off the non-Chevy ears depending on the trans. to floor/firewall fit.

You will still need the Chevy to Stude adapter that a coupla people sell.

DEEPNHOCK
10-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Does the 259 you obtained have a trans on it? Your '66 should have a GM/Stude bellhousing on it. You should be able to get an earlier Stude V8 bellhousing (and dial that in) and bolt the flightomatic up. You will need the ring gear and flex plate off of a 259 V8 also. I'll betcha a donut you could scrounge up a donor V8 a/t from a Stude guy. Heck of a lot less work than swapping a whole a/t (whatwith all the crossmember fabricating, linkage issues, and driveshaft mods).
Since you are in frugal mode (aren't we all;))... Use the Studebaker mantra "I'd rather fix than switch".... In this case parts.
You'll end up spending more trying to put that GM trans in, and your Stude will be off the street longer. Not condemning the swap, just pointing out that swaps bring extra work and hidden expense.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jeff T.

Greetings all,

I will soon be picking up a rebuilt 62 259 for my ever evolving 62 Lark hardtop. If need be I have a frightomatic out of a 66 Commander.

What I also have for parts is a 1980 Buick that I can use for parts. It's transmission from what we can tell is a turbo 350 albeit a BOP version. A good friend of mine with more GM experience says that the difference between a Chevy and BOP automatic is that chevy has a peak at the bellhousing and the BOP has a valley at the top of the bellhousing and all of the bolt holes are that same.

OK has anyone out there in stude land ever used a BOP automatic behind a Stude V8? I am investigating this because I have a BOP auto in hand and....My wife and I are expecting a baby which will be taking most of our spare cash for the next couple of decades:)

If anyone out there has any experience with this please let me know.

Thanks

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock