PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum advance for Delco distributer

jjones
10-07-2005, 07:55 PM
I have a warmed over 1957 Commander 259 in an M-5 truck. I converted the Delco distributer to electronic ignition using a Mallory kit for an Olds/Delco distributer. It works fine and has for a couple of years but now the 48-year old factory vacuum advance has failed. The factory warrenty doesn't seem to be any good any more, the parts store laugh at me and Studebaker vendors say change to a custom distributer for around $300.00. Any ideas?

BobPalma
10-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Try again at NAPA. Tell them you want an Echlin #VC395 vacuum control unit. The number may have been superceded, but that's what you are looking for.

BP

jjones
10-16-2005, 06:29 PM
The Echlin VC395 vacuum advance number originally for my Delco distributer now is for a 1978 Toyota. NAPA says it was never superceded and basically told me where to go (NAPA has been going downhill in my area for several years). I tried several other stores with similar, but friendlier results. Any other ideas?

curt
10-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Napa has always had the best, I think the Auto Zone and O'Riley's are a difficult problem for NAPA , the price difference.

laughinlark
10-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Hey JJ
I've been trying to find somebody with a Stude V/8 in a M-Series truck. Would you happen to know how much it weighs?? :D I'm thinking about V/8ing one for the dragstrip. I think it will be lighter than my 63 Lark sedan.

Thanks
Gordon

Roscomacaw
10-17-2005, 07:05 PM
I too, had VC395 as the number for that vacuum modifier unit on the early Delcos. I also had VC725 for the window Delco distributor.

Well, this thread prompted me to stop at the local NAPA on a trip to town today. Fella checked the computer and I checked the big catalog that has illustrations of what each part looks like.
VC395 & VC725 are NO LONGER listed in the inventory of NAPA. Not locally or in the warehouse system!
The closest thing I could find was a superceded # for the Chevybaker window distrbutor's vacuum unit. But that's not gonna help you with the earlier Delco.
I'd bet a buck to a cop's donut that one of our vendors will have a unit tho.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

jjones
10-22-2005, 05:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by laughinlark

Hey JJ
I've been trying to find somebody with a Stude V/8 in a M-Series truck. Would you happen to know how much it weighs?? :D I'm thinking about V/8ing one for the dragstrip. I think it will be lighter than my 63 Lark sedan.

Thanks
Gordon

jjones
10-22-2005, 05:29 PM
I don't know what the truck weighs, but with the 259, an R-1/2 cam, a little headwork (1.86 intake valves, etc.), and an Edelbrock AFB clone, it scats pretty good.

jj

quote:Originally posted by laughinlark

Hey JJ

Thanks
Gordon