PDA

View Full Version : 5 spd for Stude V8

Stude4x4
10-06-2005, 03:12 PM
What is a good 5 spd to put in some of my cars? First I want it in my 1963 Avanti R2/R3. It's just an everyday driver, but once in awhile I want to "get on it" and not ruin the tranny. I already wrecked a T-10. It got stuck between 2nd and 3rd gear. Ouch! Any suggestions? Thanks.
Jake

Mike Van Veghten
10-06-2005, 05:12 PM
The new Tremac trans.
I believe it's called the "TKO" or something like that.
I'll be getting one as soon as McCloud comes out with their scatter shield.
I can't drive a manual trans. with out the protection!

Transtar60
10-06-2005, 05:20 PM
TKO-500 and TKO-600. Thats supposedly their torque ratings.
http://www.mcleodind.com/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=w3ezmenudriver&menuvalue=38&currmenuid=WMM&src1=/catalog_htm/2003cat.htm&w3hostname=MCLEOD

Both are double or almost the rating of the truck trannies used in Studebaker trucks.(250lbs to 290lbs of torque).

Dick Steinkamp
10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Stude4x4

What is a good 5 spd to put in some of my cars? First I want it in my 1963 Avanti R2/R3. It's just an everyday driver, but once in awhile I want to "get on it" and not ruin the tranny. I already wrecked a T-10. It got stuck between 2nd and 3rd gear. Ouch! Any suggestions? Thanks.
Jake

The T-10 is a pretty stout trany. Ted shifts the heck out of the ones in the Tomato and the Wrapper. I have a close ratio T-10, aluminum case, in my '54 Starlight with a 365 HP, 327 in front of it. Hurst competition plus shifter. I'm not gentle with it. Over 30k miles on it now with several trips down the quarter mile. Your linkage may have been out of adjustment or worn to the point to allow multiple gears to be engaged at the same time. Repair, adjust, and/or upgrade your linkage and a T-10 will probably serve you well.

On the other hand, a 5 speed will give you an OD gear which is a GOOD reason to switch. There is the hassle of the bellhousing bolt pattern, pilot shaft differences with typical brand X cars, shifter location, and mount location, but those can be overcome if you want one bad enough.

-Dick-

-Dick-

GTtim
10-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Lots of info here: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_5speed.asp
Tim K

prager
10-06-2005, 08:43 PM
A BORG WARNER WORLD CLASS T-5 IS A PRETTY SOLID TRANS FOR DAILY DRIVING..IT WON'T TAKE A RACE TRACK BEATING, BUT IT WILL HOLD UP TO A LITTLE SHOWING OFF..