This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator replacement

How hard is it to replace a generator with an alternator in a 62 Hawk? I have had them rebulid my generator twice and it is not putting out any current. I`ve also replaced the regulator twice also.
    Some body please help me. The wife wants me to sell my car and get
    a newer one. That ain`t gonna happen. There is just too many people out there with a vast amount of knowledge. So please help me. I`m in so. cal. not far from Magic Mountain. If anyone knows someone my way who is experienced with generators let me know. Thanks Dan

62 GT Hawk

Dan, I'm only a shade tree mechanic. I had a problem , grounds: battery to seloniod,seloniod to starter. block to battery, and I think block to frame. I polished those suckers with fine steel wool from wall mart or the hardware store. Once I had excellent connection my car ran ,charged and had super lights. Also have you polorized the generator/regulator?

Comment

Danweb, this is probably a shadetree opinion, too, so take it with a grain of salt. I know someone with a 55 Commander, who said their car was not firing too well, until they changed the generator pulley to a smaller diameter. That change caused the generator to turn more revolutions with each engine revolution, putting out more voltage for the plugs. Something to consider, anyway.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon
      Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

It's a pretty easy swap by my standards. But let's approach this logically. Have you had the "shop" test the generator after it's been shown not to charge on your Hawk? OR, is this the sort of "rebuild" where you take it to a parts store and they send it off to be rebuilt? (Thereby denying you the ability to deal directly with the rebuilders)

IF you're dealing directly with the rebuilding shop, have them test the generator for you. It only takes a minute to do so. If it works on their test rig, it should work in your car. And if they're an old-timey shop, they likely have a tester for the regulator too. You might ask!

OK, ALL that aside, the current output from that generator all goes thru the ammeter on the dash. THAT'S suspect #1 as far as inhibiting recharge. And these ammeters have a habit of developing corroded connections over the years. They'll get to the point to where they won't pass any current at all or give any indication of such. First thing I'd do is get a flashlight and look to see if the connections on that gage look nice or nasty. Check that out and get back to us. Then we'll check out the wiring associated with the generator - wire by wire.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Mr. Biggs, I`ll try that this weekend and get back to you.

Comment

Its been a while since I last posted. Had two surgeries on my shoulder and know I up and running. Now about my hawk. I have a slight problem, I`m 6'5" and weight 270. I cannot fit to see up into or behind the dash to check the gauge. Should I remove the drivers seat? I don`t know if this will give me the room I need. If anyone knows of someone in socal that is good with these oldie but goodies I wouldn`t mind paying for there time. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So. Cal is a big place mail me through this forum if you are in the L.A. Orange County area.

Comment

danweb: Can we assume by your seat removal comments that your gen & reg have been tested and given clean bills of health ?? If not ...do so.

Comment

Yes the gen. and volt reg. are brand new. I polarized the regulator and all I get is it showing a slight discharge when the car is running. With the lights on it shows a bigger discharge. I`m going over to Alan`s house tomorrow and hopefully he can help me get this thing sorted.[] Dan

62 GT Hawk

Comment

Assuming all other accessories are working fine...are they ? It's very possible you connections on the ammeter are on backwards ...? I know my connections were backwards on my 64' gas guage and alwasy gave me bad readings....let's hope you get some good luck with your friend today....

Comment

Checked out charging system yesterday and for some reason the regulator is not exciting the generator so there is no charging going on. Checked contunity of wires going to regulator and it was good. Connections on ampmeter are good. At this point of game, I`m thinking about installing an alternator.[] My Hawk is not a show car so I`m not worried about the purists out there that say its not an original.[}] I drive my Studebaker just about everyday of the week like they where meant to be.[8D] Any suggestions would be appreciated. Dan

62 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by danweb

Checked out charging system yesterday and for some reason the regulator is not exciting the generator so there is no charging going on. Checked contunity of wires going to regulator and it was good. Connections on ampmeter are good. At this point of game, I`m thinking about installing an alternator.[] My Hawk is not a show car so I`m not worried about the purists out there that say its not an original.[}] I drive my Studebaker just about everyday of the week like they where meant to be.[8D] Any suggestions would be appreciated. Dan

62 GT Hawk
                        I'm not sure what you mean by "the regulator is not exciting the generator". An alternator needs an external source of current to begin charging, but not a generator.

Here's a good web site to understand the basics of a generator system...

Here's some info from that site...

"A generator is simply a spinning armature inside a magnetic field. It has no smarts at all. It will produce current when it is spinning, and if the current has a place to go, it will go there. The voltage regulator directs the current, prevents current from flowing backwards into the generator at low RPM, and adjusts the amount of current by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field. There is always some residual magnetism in the generator steel case, so a generator will begin to produce current even with no applied field current."

IMHO, it will be easier to trouble shoot your existing system (and probably cheaper) than to purchase an alternator and regulator (matched to the alternator), figure out the wiring for it, fab a bracket, and find the right belt and pully.

-Dick-
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick's probably right about cheaper, but an alternator is much more likely to give you worry-free charging IMHO, and these guys http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/ can furnish you with all the parts, instructions and advice you will need to make the conversion.

You'll feel much better about making any further investments in charging if you first assure yourself that your wiring is 100% A-OK. The first car I restored, I tried to get by without a complete rewire-- that was (and will be) the last time. Now it's the first thing I do with EVERY new-to-me car. Unless you do the wiring yourself, or get someone you trust implicitly to do it, IMHO you'll never get completely comfortable with the electricals.

So at a minimum, polish up all those grounding points, or add ground wires to pesky accessories. Good luck!

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

51 Commander State Sedan
                          Butler PA

Comment

Dick, Thanks for that web site lots of good stuff and even though I have been working on Studes since 1958 there are a few things I can still learn. When we checked the generator over it would not show voltage at the field terminal on the generator so we shut it off and pulled the battery cable and made a resistance test of the field. Insted of a low resistance it was open, so we took the generator apart and found a broken field wire between the 2 shoes. Took that apart and repaired the broken wire, reassembled it put it back on still no voltage to the field on the gen. Brand new regulator but according to the Stude book there were 2 different generators used on 62's and 3 different ways of regulating them. The guy at the generator shop couldn't give Dan the part no. replacement called for in the book but said it was a direct replacement. Also when disassembling the gen. there was no key on the shaft to hold the pully in place. Still no voltage to the field no matter which way you polerize the gen. If you can't get volage to the field it dosn't produce anything.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Dick, Thanks for that web site lots of good stuff and even though I have been working on Studes since 1958 there are a few things I can still learn. When we checked the generator over it would not show voltage at the field terminal on the generator so we shut it off and pulled the battery cable and made a resistance test of the field. Insted of a low resistance it was open, so we took the generator apart and found a broken field wire between the 2 shoes. Took that apart and repaired the broken wire, reassembled it put it back on still no voltage to the field on the gen. Brand new regulator but according to the Stude book there were 2 different generators used on 62's and 3 different ways of regulating them. The guy at the generator shop couldn't give Dan the part no. replacement called for in the book but said it was a direct replacement. Also when disassembling the gen. there was no key on the shaft to hold the pully in place. Still no voltage to the field no matter which way you polerize the gen. If you can't get volage to the field it dosn't produce anything.
                              I'd probably take the generator back to the guy who rebuilt it (twice?). A broken internal wire and missing pulley key doesn't sound like a very good job and would make me suspect that the generator was probably not good. Make him make good on his work then make him demonstrate to you on his test stand that the generator is putting out. Reinstall the (known working) generator, recheck the wiring diagram all the way through, repolorize the generator, and it should charge. If not, follow the standard charging trouble shooting steps outlined on the link I provided, or in a Motor's Manual.

A generator system should be as worry free as an alternator system. They both have the same number of components (the alternator even has that additional rectifier circuit). They both have a regulator (some alternators have an internal regulator). Both a generator and an alternator have about the same running life. The only advantage of an alternator (IMHO) is that it will charge at a lower RPM than the generator (generators produce over about 800 RPM's and alternators will charge at idle) and most alternators have the ability to produce more amps. A stock Studebaker probably can't use all the amps even the smallest alternator can produce, however.

-Dick-
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X