This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Stumble

My 62 GT Hawk (289 auto) has been running great except in the last few weeks it wouldn't start (fire) when the weather was damp, such as a rainy day or damp morning. It would start just fine once things dried out. This weekend it finally gave up the ghost and wouldn't fire at all. I checked the cap, points, rotor, condensor and the low tension circut appeared to be funcioning well as there was a good spark across the points. There was no spark at the plugs so I changed the coil and spark plug wires. It started right up and idled just fine, however upon acceleration from a stop it coughs and sputters and seems to want to die, even when fully warmed up. Once up to driving speed (35 mph) it again runs and accelerates up to 70 mph just fine. I can't see that there is anything in changing the coil and plug wires that should affect low speed acceleration. I didn't touch the carb, any thought on what might be wrong (accelerator pump in the carb)?

1960 Lark Convertible
    1962 GT Hawk

Try changing the cap, Dan.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I'll give it a try, also thanks for the advice on the resistor wire to the coil. The wire to the coil appears to be redish so I assume it's the pink wire that you mentioned.

1960 Lark Convertible
      1962 GT Hawk
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Biggs was right, the center contact in the distributor cap was bad and when I changed the cap (rotor and condensor while I had things apart) the stumble was cured. Good call!

1960 Lark Convertible
        1962 GT Hawk
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Working...
        X